Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Bang Crash Clatter

You may remember that we are not supposed to put picture hooks or other holes in the walls at this, our rented place. We did get permission to put up 4 hooks to hang our actual art works on; we were deeply reluctant to hang them on sticky hooks. So far every sticky hook we've put up has fallen off the walls, with the sole exception of the one holding a calendar.

Where possible, I have sat things on window sills. In the case of the kitchen clock, it's sitting on the broadband modem which is fixed to the kitchen wall.  In the bathroom I had put onto the window sill the bathroom clock, some sailing boats and a ceramic plate bearing the image of a lighthouse which Ian had brought back from Florence for me when we first moved into the house in Tupton.

For reasons best known to itself, the ceramic plate, which has been sitting peacefully in its place since we moved in in March, decided to fling itself off the window sill and to crash to its demise in the bath below.  On the way it somehow managed to take the ceramic soap dish with it. This had been sitting on the side of the bathroom sink.

It didn't half make a racket!

So now I am minus a lighthouse and a soap dish.  The soap dish in the kitchen, which I knew had a crack in it, is quietly disintegrating as the crack widens and gets longer.

So in my travels around markets, craft stalls, junk shops and other places I am now looking for two soap dishes, one lighthouse, and a dedicated bowl for the used tea bags. We are off to a new market this morning which I believe will have craft stalls.  I must remember to keep my eyes peeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment