Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

A slight disappointment

It was quite a nice day on Sunday.

We got up early and had tea and toast.  I  did some ironing. We sorted ourselves out, got dressed and hopped in the car to drive to Maryborough for the monthly Farmers' Market.

Before we left I checked the address online, checked that we had the right week of the month - and noted that there is a market on the first Sunday of the month which includes craft things and other stuff.  I thought it odd that there were two markets so close together, but then there are lots of markets in Ballarat.  So off we went.

It was a lovely day for a country drive.  It is a lovely drive to Maryborough.  We enjoyed it.  Alas - when we got there we could see no sign of a Farmers' Market.  We drove around the town, admired the old Post Office and the glorious old Railway Station, but completely failed to find a market of any sort. This was slightly disappointing.

So we drove back to Clunes and had barramundi and chips for lunch in the Bread and Circus Provedore, where we have eaten before, and where I went onto the Maryborough Market's Facebook page to discover that it had Ceased To Be at the May market.  It seems to have been replaced by the relatively new, I think, market on the first Sunday of the month. What was slightly annoying was that the page pointed us to the Avoca market, which actually was on and which wouldn't have been far to get to from Maryborough.

You might suggest that I should have checked the Facebook page before we set off. In fact, I thought I had but it turns out it wasn't the official page that I had lighted upon and so obviously wasn't being updated by the market people.

So the lack of a market was disappointing, but the lunch in Clunes was not. It was very delicious. I like Bread and Circus Provedore. There's a market in Clunes too. We should go and look at it - and have another lunch!

Lindsey and Ian came to our place for dinner and we had roast pork from the Elaine Farm Shop, with the usual Sunday roast accompaniments.  That was rather delicious too

This experience led me to investigate the Sunday (and Saturday) markets further.  I now have a list that should keep us going for quite some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment