Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, July 21, 2018

A change in the routine

Most weeks I go to work on Tuesday and Wednesday, staying over in Lindsey and Ian's flat in East Melbourne on Tuesday night. Then I go to work on Friday and mostly go down and back on the day, usually with Lindsey.

This week just gone I went down to work on Monday with Lindsey and stayed over on Monday night.  I had intended to head back to Mount Helen by public transport after work on Tuesday, however Ian said that he would be coming back on Wednesday morning in time for a mid-morning meeting, if I wanted a lift. So I stayed over on Tuesday night as well.

The re-scheduling was because there was a talk at the Ballarat library at lunchtime on Wednesday about growing vegetables in Ballarat and Jim and I thought that we might go. It was quite an interesting talk, although I don't suppose Jim or I really learnt much that we didn't already know.  He did confirm that Ballarat is about 6 weeks behind Melbourne when it comes to planting seeds. He said over and over again that you shouldn't go by the calendar but by soil temperature. But we knew that. He said that he covers his carrot seed with shade cloth. We covered our carrot boxes in Tupton with perspex or glass sheets but the carrot tub here is too big for that so we hadn't really put anything over it apart from netting to stop the birds. I hadn't thought about shade cloth. I have now :-D He gave advice how to prevent blackbirds eating your seedlings. We don't have a problem with blackbirds. Our problem is rabbits.  He didn't address rabbits.  Even so, rabbits notwithstanding, it was an interesting talk. Pity that the TV screen wasn't higher, though.  We couldn't see it at all from where we were sitting.

We had Wednesday and Thursday nights at home. We went up to Hill House on Thursday afternoon to play with Rupert and Hugo, then I went to work on Friday with Lindsey as usual.

And now it is the weekend. The weather is set reasonably fair, if a bit windy.  I am going to go and do useful things this morning before a Japanese class at lunchtime. Then we might go out play this afternoon and tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment