Bell Avenue, Mount Helen August 2024

Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Magpies, the Market and Morning Light

There are lots of magpies who live in the trees around my place. We get other birds as well: sometimes kookaburras, cockatoos, rosellas. We get lots of large black birds, like crows and currawongs, plus, occasionally, very small birds who I think are passing through. There is one magpie in particular who regularly visits the fences around the house. Often it's just pottering around. Sometimes it is tormenting the cats (I am certain it's deliberate - you can almost hear it laughing!). And it frequently stops for a drink and a bathe in the bird bath in the front garden.

The cats were sleeping on my bed,
so didn't notice the visitor

I went to the market on my own on Saturday. Lindsey was at a conference in Cairns. It was a glorious morning and, although I went quite early, it was already very busy. I was VERY impressed that I nabbed a parking spot right by the entrance - a feat worthy of Ian who almost always finds convenient parking spots that elude the rest of us

Straight across the road and into the market

I have topped up my olive oil supplies from the Phoenix Olive Grove, my feta cheese from the Blue Bay cheese people, tomatoes and cucumbers from the Yendon tomato farm. I bought a chicken shish from Kazzam, the Middle Asian food people, which I had as brunch. Then I went to Wilsons for a few extra veg. Then I went home

A shiny bowl of jewels on the kitchen bench


Evening light:


And morning light:



Stella's care home is locked down because of a covid outbreak. The lockdown takes the form of the cancellation of all communal activities, including meals, which are served in the residents' rooms. They can leave their rooms, for a "walk" or to go out. Wendy took Stella out for lunch last Friday, so she is not absolutely in solitary confinement. But she is bored. I think they may have to restart the activities sometime soon - I have noticed people trickling back into the television room and hanging out in the little sitting rooms! Also, the outbreak appears to be dying down. I do understand the need to keep the residents safe from plague and pestilence, but mental health is important too!


Vanilla slices do a lot for people's mental health!


I am once again working Tuesday and Thursday this week. I expect to revert to Wednesday and Friday next week. But then again - I expected to be doing Wednesday and Friday this week until last Thursday. Anyway, I can't go to work in my pyjamas and snuggly dressing gown so I had best go and have a shower and get dressed!


No comments:

Post a Comment