Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, October 14, 2023

Lunch in Warragul

You found me, on Thursday morning, in Mount Helen. I was, you may remember, supposed to be in East Melbourne. And unlike on Wednesday, when the dogs almost certainly spent the morning outside in the spring sunshine, the weather was dire. Gloomy, misty, foggy, wet, cold, horrible.

I was supposed to be going to Warragul to have lunch with Barb and her cousin Fifi.

Barb is over from the south of England for a couple of weeks, and is staying with her family who live outside of Morwell. Morwell is a bit of a hike for a day trip from my place but Warragul is doable - even more so if it is a nice day and if you start the day in East Melbourne!

I haven't seen Barb for a very long time and she has come all the way from England. I figured I could cope with a bit of rain and with leaving from Mount Helen in the interests of catching up over lunch.

Matthew and Belinda, who live just outside of Warragul, had recommended Frankie's as a good place for lunch so we met there. And they were right. The food was lovely and the venue buzzing, even on a wet and cold Thursday. In fact, Warragul itself was busier than I had expected. I was lucky to get a parking space close to the cafe.

It was good to catch up with Barb and to meet her cousin. As I said, I haven't actually seen Barb for several years, although we keep in touch by other means. And I hadn't met any of her Gippsland family before. Good food and good company make for an excellent lunch date.

I came home via Northcote, where I got to inspect Freyja and Simon's new flat in person. I had been on a walk-through by video but a walk-through in person is even better. It's a lovely little flat. lovely and light and bright, even on a gloomy day. It looks nice and warm and cosy. Their balcony is a good size and they have put plants in pots out there, as well as a table and a wooden couch. So a good little outside space. Plus they have access to  a shared roof terrace. The Ghostly Cat is not quite as delighted by the move as her humans are. She was sleeping under the doona on their bed while I was there and wasn't much inclined to come out. I have some sympathy with this. 


Barb and me, outside Frankie's in Warragul.
Photo by Fifi

No comments:

Post a Comment