Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Apples and Lemons, say the bells of ...

Wendy came up for the weekend on Saturday morning. Lindsey and I picked her up from the station and then went to the Zoo Drive market- which is now back in its  proper place in the paddock.

We had a cheese toastie each from Tim's Toasties. I bought some tomatoes and cucumbers from the Yendon Tomato Man. I got some Lemon&Lime oil from the Olive Oil Man. I got two bags of 6 lemons each for $8. And a few other bits and pieces that I've now forgotten.

We went to the Mushroom Farm Shop. I got milk and a few bits - and a 4kg bag of apples for $4.

We went to Warrenheip so Lindsey and I could vote in the referendum. Wendy got the Democracy Sausage sizzle sandwiches while Lindsey and I were voting. Wendy had voted earlier and they don't encourage you to vote twice in the same election/referendum 😂

Wendy and I went to visit Stella and then had a quiet afternoon at home. I juiced one bag of lemons, which I froze in an ice cube tray and dehydrated the zest in my dehydrating machine. Which was very much underused last year. 

On Sunday I took the dehydrated lemon peel and pulverised it in my mini bullet blender. Lemon peel powder adds a vibrant and strong lemon taste to things, I find. When I remember to use it 😛

Wendy and I went, with Stella, to the Golden Point pub for lunch. You may remember that it's very much like The Dava in Mount Martha. We haven't been there for while; we've been busy trying out other pubs around Ballarat. The food isn't particularly exciting. It's reasonably typical "chain" pub food. Reliable but not adventurous. I have to say, though, that my deconstructed lamb souvlaki was absolutely delicious. Beautifully cooked. Very tasty. Enormous! (I did eat most of it, just not absolutely all of the salad)

Then we went, at Stella's determined request, into town. She wanted lingerie. I can't imagine why. I never want lingerie. I do, it's true, wear knickers and bras and even socks in season. But never lacy ones. My socks are mostly inherited from Tony and Jim. My undies are Kmart's finest and purely functional. But Stella wanted lacy thingies so we went and bought lacy thingies. Labelling them was a tad challenging, but it has now been done.

On Monday, I peeled. sliced and stewed all the apples, portioned them up and put them in the freezer. All of this preserving is usually an autumn thing but I guess it is just as appropriate in spring. Wendy went home. I had lunch with Rupert and Hugo, visited Stella, fed Rupert and Hugo their dinner. pottered in the garden, got ready for the week ahead.

Simon (SiL) mentioned that their dishwasher in the new place was misbehaving. He had done various things to address this and it is now working again. So I pulled my dishwasher out of its space, checked the hoses, checked the filters, checked what I could - and then ran it on a short cycle with some bicarb to see what happened. I put a towel in front of it as a precaution. While it was running, just a small amount of water leaked out. I thought it might perhaps be the sealing rubber that was at fault. When the short cycle finished I went to do something else. When I came back the kitchen was awash with water, well after then cycle was done and the power had been switched off. Not the sealing rubber then.  I can feel a new dishwasher coming on 😞


Little tubs of apple sauce,
ready for the freezer

No comments:

Post a Comment