Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, May 25, 2023

Unexpected things

I was called upon to work on Saturday, as an extra shift. I don't mind working Saturdays. They're usually not frantically busy and we finish up at lunchtime. And the traffic is usually much lighter than it is during the week.

I had an easy trip down. There was time for a toastie and a hot chocolate when I got there. The patients were happy. The Pathology clinic ran smoothly.

Then I went to Freyja and Simon's place to pick them up for an unplanned trip to Ballarat. We went to La Manna on the way to my place, to get supplies for the weekend. 

Freyja and Simon had come up to see Ross, who had had some dental work done during the week, so I dropped them at his place for a late afternoon visit. They stayed at my place overnight and we had burgers and salad from La Manna for dinner.  

We had a nicely leisurely breakfast on Sunday. "Chicken" sausages from La Manna with toasted Turkish bread, avocado, green leafy stuff. Tea. Coffee. Newspaper. Quizzes. 

Then we had a burst of short, sharp activities:

We went to visit Stella (but not Jim). 

We went to visit Ian (but not Lindsey who was in Adelaide), Rupert and Hugo. 

Freyja and Simon went to visit Ross. 

We packed the car with their stuff and went into town.

Where we met Julia, Travis and Henry in a sandwich shop that I didn't know existed, in a little street, almost a lane, that I had not previously noticed and where I had perhaps the best chicken Katsu sandwich that I have had outside of Japan. Lovely crunchy, thick, juicy chicken inside soft, fluffy very fresh bread. It was just lovely. It was also lovely to catch up with Julia, Travis and Henry.

Then I went back to my place. Freyja and Simon took the train, disguised as a coach, back to Melbourne.

I have some stuff for Henry that I keep forgetting to give him/Julia. I have put them in my car. And now watch them come to my place and I'll forget to give them to him because they're out of sight in the car!!

Sunday was quite a busy day, topped and trailed by a leisurely breakfast and a leisurely lunch. My kind of day, really.

I was out and about with Lindsey on Monday and took her to the sandwich shop, which she also didn't know about, although she did know about the street. It's at the back of Dan Murphy and close to the back of Big W, so it's surprising that I haven't noticed it before. She bought sandwiches for her and Ian's lunches and reports that they were very good. We went and saw Stella (and Jim this time), pottered in Wilson's and the supermarket.

It was a good weekend. Several unexpected things happened in a pleasantly gentle way.

2 comments:

  1. That’s the way life goes. Pleasure arrives unannounced in the most simplest of ways

    ReplyDelete