Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Centrelink. Again!

I had a phone call on Thursday afternoon from someone in Centrelink. "I understand you have been speaking with your local MP's office," she said.  Indeed I have. "I see we have you with the wrong surname and at the wrong address," Yes, that's right.

She asked a lot of questions and, I think, has fixed the issue. I think! I haven't actually checked it yet but she said she had. Apparently, I had been registered with them when my children were very young and I was getting child benefit for them. Centrelink didn't come into being until the late 1990s, after I had gone to the UK but clearly the social service records had been transferred to them. When I came back and reactivated all my government relationships, I didn't give Centrelink a thought. As far as I was aware I had never had any relationship with them. So I can see why they might have had me registered with my old name but that still doesn't explain why they had me at Ross' address where I have never lived. The lady on the phone also asked if I have ever lived in Hervey Bay. I have not. I didn't even really know where it was (on the Queensland coast, north of Brisbane, since you ask). Not at all sure where that came from!

She also said she would give the aged care assessment team a nudge. I'm not holding my breath on that one.

When time permits, I'll go back to the Centrelink office and see about linking them to my MyGov account. Then we'll see if they now have me under my actual name and at my actual address. And then perhaps I'll be able to apply for a senior's healthcare card.

It seems that calling upon the staff at your local MP's office to help with your Centrelink problems actually has some effect. But really - it shouldn't take invoking your MP's office to get things done.

I ordered a split system reverse cycle air conditioner last weekend. It's arrived and is sitting in the garage. Now I need to gather together the money to have it installed! No hurry at this stage, not for the winter. I still have the gas overhead ducted heating if I need it. I still don't like it, though it is better than freezing. But the wood burner is pleasanter, cosier, I think cheaper, and much more effective. It never blows cold air at my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment