Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, May 01, 2023

Sunday

I went out, bright and early yesterday morning, to collect Freyja from her isolated farmhouse in the middle of the Wombat State Forest. It was a beautiful morning for a drive in the countryside. There were more people out and about at that time on a Sunday morning than I had expected. They were going for walks along the tracks in the forest, some carrying picnic baskets. They were out cycling. They were driving old or antique cars. All apparently having a good time.

Freyja had had a good time at her vegan food retreat. I look forward one day to sampling some of the pretty pasta she has learned to make.

We were making our way towards Daylesford  when we saw up ahead a lot of stopped cars and many people along the side of the road, some waving their arms in warning. We could see a very great deal of debris across the road and a car straddling the road. It was clear there had been quite a bad accident, not long before we got there. There didn't seem to be much that we could do to help. There were already lots of people there and I assume someone had called the emergency services. I couldn't see any point waiting for the road to clear. That was likely to take hours, even longer if it had been a fatal, which it looked very much as though it might have been.

So I did a multiple point turn and we made our way up a narrow forest/mountain road, not absolutely sure where it was going but fairly certain that it would eventually end up somewhere.

It was a beautiful drive, on a glorious morning, which took us back to the main road, almost into Daylesford. I think we could probably have rejoined the main road sooner, looking at the map when I got home. But we weren't in any hurry and it was a lovely diversion - though I am sorry it was delivered because of a nasty accident.

Here are some of Freyja's photos of Sailors Creek Road. I couldn't take any, obviously. I was driving









We went to the Daylesford Sunday Market for a wander around, and then for a look at the Scenic Drive in the Daylesford Botanic Gardens, before meeting Lindsey, Ian and Simon at Harry's in Hepburn Springs for lunch. Stella had been hoping to join us for lunch but hadn't been particularly well during the week so didn't come. Apart from that, it was a lovely Sunday.


When I went to pick Freyja up from the station on Friday, I was a bit early so dropped into Wilson's to see what was there. They had a fruit and veg box for $7, which had a large half cabbage, half a green melon, a bag of onions and a variety of other things, including a green and a red pepper, a box of raspberries, a box of strawberries, some apples, a pear, an orange and more. Excellent value for money, I'm sure you'll agree. I picked some of the sweet corn and the last of the baby pumpkins from the garden. Then Freyja and I bought some garlic, lemons, beetroot, more baby pumpkins, other things at the Daylesford market. And this is what my kitchen bench looked like when I got up this morning:



All very delicious. Now I just have to eat it all!


The accident at Leonards Hill yesterday wasn't, I am pleased to say, a fatal. The air ambulance was called and took two people to hospital in Melbourne. Two other people went to hospital in Ballarat. But I'm glad we turned around and went along the forest road. I think it took a very long time to clear the main road.

No comments:

Post a Comment