Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, August 11, 2022

East Melbourne

The last time I can remember being in the City of Melbourne, apart from passing through it to get somewhere else, was in February 2020, just before Jim and I headed off to England. I still haven't got into the CBD, but I have made it as far as East Melbourne.

I like East Melbourne.

We are definitely short of receptionists at work at the moment. One is off on her Grand World tour. Two are off with covid. And one has a funeral to go to and asked if I could cover her today. So I came down to work yesterday and stayed over in Lindsey and Ian's flat. It was ridiculously exciting getting into the car after work and heading into town instead of to Ballarat.

They've made some changes in the flat since I was last here. New flooring. A new, fancy pants fold down bed, new chairs, that sort of thing. But the view from the balcony hasn't changed:




I wandered up Smith Street and met Freyja and Simon in the Kinyoubi Izakaya for dinner. A tapas-style Japanese feast. I asked for a bowl of karaage chicken, among the other treats. I won't do that again if I am the only omnivore present. The chicken was very delicious but I was the only one who could eat it, which meant I couldn't properly sample the other bowls. It was all very delicious and a lovely evening.



And now I had better get myself organised for the day. It's been rather nice not having to dash about to get ready to leave (by about now, when coming from Mount Helen) but it is all too easy to potter about and forget about the time all together!

And I must make the time to come to Melbourne City more often. Two and a half years between visits is ridiculous, even allowing for plague, pandemics and other impediments

No comments:

Post a Comment