Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, January 23, 2022

Summer Days

I was watching Location, location, location during the week. They were in Sheffield. They went to lots of lovely places that I know well, like Woodseats, Meersbrook, Millhouses, amongst others. I saw lots of landmarks that I know. "Oh look! There's the Crosspool tower, the Ranmoor church spire, the Heeley mosque." We wandered through Graves Park, along the main road in Woodseats, past Bishops' House. It was all very nostalgic. I almost felt homesick 😊

Then I went outside into a glorious summer's afternoon and decided that perhaps I might just stay here for now. 

I am rather pleased with my small vegetable beds. They're doing quite well this year.

I need more pea plants next year

The tomatoes did not flourish on the front porch last year.
They're doing much better this year

Runner bean flowers

The sweet corn is flourishing

I've fenced back the raspberries, which had started to lounge about along the back path. While I was at it, I cut back this year's fruiting canes. I also pruned the rhubarb, which garnered me four sticks to use. I wouldn't usually pick rhubarb in its first year but it was beginning to get a bit unruly. And I figured I might as well eat the prunings.



I was about to pull the broad bean plants, which were pretty much finished. Then I noticed that they were flowering again from the bottom. So I cut them back and will wait and see if I get another, summer crop. I don't need the space just for now, although Lindsey and Ian gave me a propagating set for Christmas which came with a selection of vegetable seeds, plus I have loads of seed from previous seasons. It's almost time to start sowing the autumn and winter plants. I must sort thought all the seed packets and see what needs using soon.



We have been having some lovely weather lately. Not too hot, not too windy.


A summer afternoon,
Hill House


Saturday morning market, at the lake


Early Sunday morning,
Mount Martha

The (temporary, I hope) loss of the bakery in Mount Clear has meant that I have finally opened the 5 kg bag of bread mix I bought a while ago. I must say, it makes lovely bread

I had to hide it so I didn't eat all of it at once!

It was very tempting, though

And Brandy and Whiskey seem to be enjoying life




2 comments:

  1. That rhubarb is looking pretty good! It looks like it will be very productive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pleased with the rhubarb, it's true. I'm quite pleased with the whole vegetable and fruit adventure this year. Much better than last year (it's been a better summer, last year was very cool and damp).

    ReplyDelete