Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, January 04, 2022

Sidling cautiously into 2022

I notice that for the past few years I have started the January blogs with "feasting/eating/partying as we mean to go on". In 2020, I had no real idea that this was likely to be problematic. There were rumblings of a weird virus somewhere in China but I wasn't paying close attention. There are often rumours and alarms about passing weird viruses and other doomsday scenarios which turn out not to be particularly worrisome. In January 2021 it was obvious that covid was going to be an ongoing issue and that feasting/eating/partying were definitely going to be problematic. I was hopeful, nonetheless. In vain, as it turned out. Feasting and partying were problematic throughout the year, even if eating was an ongoing activity 😆

In January 2022 it is clearly unclear what is likely to happen in the next 12 months. Some say that the pandemic will wear itself out during this year. Others are less optimistic and foretell it continuing for 12, perhaps 24 months, maybe even longer. I have decided that "seize the day", "embrace the moment", "live in the now" is the way to go. If I can feast today, then feast I will. If not, then I will wait until I can.

So we farewelled 2021 with the seafood feast at Hill House. We welcomed 2022 with a quiet day on January 1st. Our friend Pat came to lunch on Sunday the 2nd. Lindsey and Ian came to a Leftovers Party on Monday 3rd. We have definitely started the year as we would like to go on, but covid is running rampant throughout Australia and the head medicos are talking of "sensible restrictions possibly looming" and really - who knows.  Certainly not the federal government, which appears to have completely lost its grip on anything "sensible".  Feasting and partying may not be as frequent as I might wish this year.

In the meantime, Mother Nature is trundling along, largely ignoring the human agitation with pandemics, viruses and restrictions. The vegetable gardens at Tani may be small but they are verdant and productive. We are harvesting broad beans, zucchinis, raspberries and herbs. The lemon trees have flowers, portending lemons next year. The peas are coming along. The pumpkin plant has tiny pumpkins. Brandy has been leaping onto the carrot box and squashing the carrots but I think I have managed to stop that and the carrots are beginning to stand up again. The sweet corn plants are reaching to the skies. The potato plants are thriving. Likewise the tomato plants. So far so good.


I've moved the tiny bird bath to the back fence, where it is settling in well with the hollyhocks.


All seems well in the gardens



Starting the year as we mean to go on:
New Year's Day lunch
stir fried vegetables, noodles, lemon myrtle and ginger
with left over crayfish on top


2 comments:

  1. Your hollyhocks look amazing. My grandmother used to grow them, and I always think that they add a statement to a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love hollyhocks, especially the black or very dark red ones. They are doing particularly well this year, I think because of the wet spring and the few hot days we've had so far this summer

    ReplyDelete