Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, February 01, 2022

End of January

The last week of January was (mostly!) pleasantly hot, interspersed with a bit of humidity and  then stormy rain on Friday. We had almost 40ml in a couple of hours on Friday afternoon. Buninyong had closer to 50 and the storm drains didn't cope well. There was some flooding and some near misses in Buninyong, although not as far as I know in Mount Helen.

Back at our place - a Friday afternoon downpour.
No watering needed over the weekend!

I baked another loaf of bread, using the bread mix. I went freeform this time. It rose to be considerably larger than I was expecting.  Two slices made lunchtime salmon and tomato sandwiches for both Jim and me!


Only a very greedy person could have eaten all these
sandwiches.  
Jim and I had two each and were pleasantly full

I have "spring" cleaned the dining room.  Only the rest of the house to do now! And I pulled the pea plants and podded the peas. I have also sorted out all the little packets of seeds so I can tell what we've got (almost everything we need) and what needs to be bought for next summer (runner beans seeds and potatoes; I think I've got everything else). 


One sparkling clean dining room

Lindsey and I went out to the Mushroom Farm and the Elaine Farmshop on Saturday (no markets; it was the fifth Saturday and Sunday of the month). I accompanied her to work on Sunday. She was running a vaccination clinic and I took the opportunity to go in and do one of the admin tasks that I ought to be able to do from home - but my work laptop simply says NO! Jim was bought off with sandwiches for lunch and a custard donut and seemed to be happy at home for a few hours.

And now, here we sit at the start of February. The weather is tantalisingly autumnal -  the temperatures for this week are due to be in the high teens rather than in the 30s. But February can be brutally hot if it so chooses. I might hold off on doing autumn jobs in the garden, at least for the next couple of weeks. I could pick another room to deep clean instead.  Or not :-D


I have a few pretty, sweet scented sweet peas.
I would really like more next year.
I need to  rethink the back of the patio

The sweet corn is reaching to the skies
and makes a fabulous hedge!

No comments:

Post a Comment