Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, November 23, 2020

Stella's Busy Few Days

We met Lindsey and Stella at Pipers for lunch on Thursday. I know we had only recently been to Pipers, but it is in a nice location, has easy wheelchair access and does nice enough food. We sat outside under cover, the weather was lovely, the lake was sparkling and we enjoyed our food.

All was well. Until Stella went to get her bank card out of her purse.  We could not find it! This was slightly alarming because I was the last person who had had it.  On Wednesday, Stella and I had gone to Sebastopol for Stella to have a blood test.  On our way back we had called at the butcher and the IGA and Stella had given me her card to pay for her purchases.  I was sure I had handed it straight back but in the purse it was not.

I went to check the car, to see if it had been left in there.  Lindsey turned out Stella's bag to see if it was in there.  No card.

We turned out the bag again, just in case it was hiding.  Stella found her card in a secret pocket that Lindsey and I hadn't noticed.  Much relief!  Excellent.  Now we can all go off to do various other things.

But wait! I no longer had my car key. I had had it, when I checked the car for the bank card. I did not have it now. Jim and I wouldn't be going anywhere very much without the car key.  There was a momentary panic until we looked in Stella's bag. Again. And there it was. It had been scooped up with everything else after Stella had found her bank card.

Excellent.  Jim and I could go home. Stella and Lindsey went to the disability aid shop and bought a new, lightweight wheelchair and a new walker.

On Friday, Freyja came up from Melbourne on the train to meet Stella, Jim and me for lunch.  We had it at Tani. After lunch I took Stella back up to Hill House.  Rupert and Hugo were pleased to see us back when we got out of the car.  Alas, Stella missed her step going up onto the porch and toppled over.  Fortunately she was not hurt (although a little bruised), but I could not get her back up again.  Rupert, particularly, was dismayed that Stella was sitting on the front porch step and not coming back into the house.  I think Stella was a bit dismayed as well!



We had to call an ambulance to get Stella back up on her feet.  I have to say I felt slightly uncomfortable calling for an ambulance when no one was actually hurt, but the ambulance service does offer a Getting People Back On Their Feet After A Fall service and they were not in the least perturbed about coming to help.  30 minutes after I had called them, Stella was back in the house.


All's well that ends well !

Lindsey has taken her home again now.  I think she is quite glad of the opportunity for a day or two of rest after her busy week up in Mount Helen. She has been lunching and shopping. She went to the Elaine Farmgate Shop and into the city centre. She came and met Brandy and Whiskey.  She had visitors (as well as Freyja, Emily also popped up to visit her). She played with Rupert and Hugo. All in all, I think she had a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment