Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

All things are subject to change without notice

What was supposed to happen yesterday:

  • Lindsey was going to work as usual
  • Ian would be working from home
  • Stella and Frances would go for Stella's blood test in Sebastopol and then possibly go out for lunch
  • Jim might or might not go to Hill House and do some digging and might or might not also go out for lunch
What actually happened yesterday:
  • Lindsey rang at 07:00 as she was about to leave for work to check that what she thought was supposed to be happening was also what I thought was happening
  • Ian rang at 08:00 to say that Lindsey had hit a huge hole in the middle of the road near Ballan and had buckled her wheel. He was heading to Ballan in his car. Lindsey would carry on to work in his car and he and her car would come home in the company of a tow truck. Could I please go up to Hill House and look after Stella
  • Lindsey rang to say that Ian couldn't hitch a ride with the tow truck because of Covid restrictions. Could I please go to the Ballan services and pick him up, tow truck due around 9:30 or so.
  • I had a quick shower, sorted the cats out, didn't do many of the useful things I had intended to do.
  • Jim was bundled into the car in his pyjamas, dressing gown and slippers and taken up to Hill House.
  • I prepared tea, mango and custard for Stella's breakfast and coffee, bacon and egg for Jim's.
  • Leaving Rupert and Hugo in charge, I headed to Ballan, arriving around 9:30, where I found Ian together with Lindsey's Limping Vehicle. There was no sign of a tow truck.
  • Still no sign of a tow truck.
  • Still no sign of a tow truck.  I may have been mugged by a cup of coffee, a potato cake and some dim sims.
  • Still no sign of a tow truck.
  • Ian rang the rescue company. No tow truck was coming (we had already surmised this). The tow truck driver hadn't been told we needed one.
  • Tow truck arrived half an hour later. We headed back to Ballarat in Ziggy, leaving Lindsey's car to be taken to hospital in Ballarat by the tow truck.
  • I arrived back at Hill House at around 2pm and sorted out lunch. Both Jim and Stella had got dressed in my absence.
  • Ian arrived back in a hire car. Jim and I headed back to Tani.
The hole in the highway was indeed a rather large one.  By the time I got there it had sort of been repaired, in that someone had filled it with gravel and put up a sign advising of a "rough surface ahead". I am given to understand that several cars had hit it before it had been filled with gravel and had arrived at the services with buckled wheels (the services are only a couple of km beyond the hole and it was possible to limp along to them and wait for assistance in safer conditions). 

I can't say I was very impressed with Lindsey's rescue company. I had lots of other things I could have been doing yesterday morning and early afternoon other than hanging around in the Ballan Services car park. I suppose, at least, that it wasn't raining.

I am hoping that today will be slightly more orderly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment