Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, November 12, 2020

Lockdown gone

And just like that - Checkpoint Charlie disappeared.  There is no real evidence that it was ever there. The checkpoint itself has vanished. Most of the signs that warned of a Police Checkpoint ahead have gone and the ones that remain now exhort travellers to Stay Safe and Stay Open.

The corollary of the restrictions being relaxed is, of course, that the traffic, noticeable by its quietness over the past months, has now returned. I had got used to quiet roads during the second lockdown and was a bit surprised to be diverted by my sat nav from the approach to the Westgate Bridge on Tuesday, then sent over the Bolte Bridge and along the Tullamarine freeway. This is not a particularly unusual route if you are passing through Melbourne at peak times but I haven't had to do it at all this year. Or not that I can remember.

Still, traffic is a small price to pay for Melbourne being released from solitary confinement. It means that Freyja and Simon can come to visit and I can finally give Freyja her birthday present which has been waiting at Tani since August.

I am not sure why, but we seem to have attracted the attention of fledgling currawongs. Brandy spends quite a lot of time sitting on the dining room window sill and watching the garden. He was paying particular attention the other day so I went to see what he was watching. And it was the attempts by a young currawong to escape from our garden. It could fly, but not quite high enough to get over the fence. Eventually it hopped up onto the table, then onto the back of a chair and then launched itself at the closest part of the fence and just, just, just managed to get over the top.

On Tuesday evening I heard some odd noises coming from outside the back of the house.  I went to investigate and found another young currawong behind the plastic cold frame, trying to get out.  I liberated it and it ran away.  But it is still in the backyard.  It is not quite old enough to fly properly. I figure it's safer in the backyard than it would be on the reserve; it might get taken by a larger bird but it won't be eaten by a fox. There is plenty of water for it and lots of insects, worms and other things for it to eat.  I am hopeful that it will soon develop more strength in its wings and fly away. I do not really need a permanently resident young currawong!

But two in such quick succession is noteworthy.  I assume there is a nest nearby that they can fall into our garden from. Although its parents don't seem to be looking for it.  The adult currawongs that have been around have paid no attention to it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment