Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Summer Days

It's been a funny summer so far.  I know it's been unbelievably hot in various parts of the country, including parts of Victoria. But we have had a few very hot days, otherwise it hasn't been all that hot. We have certainly had some lovely weather but I haven't put away my winter dressing gown, nor all of my winter jumpers. We've had a reasonable amount of rain. Granted, we have February yet to come but so far in Moderate Mount Helen, it's been an OK summer.

We'll see if I'm still saying that at the end of February!

So it's not quite 8:00 on Saturday morning.  It's 13d outside in our garden (not a scientific measurement, just what our outside thermometer says). It's 17d inside. I am wearing my winter dressing gown but not my winter slippers. The sun is shining and it looks as though it's shaping up to be a lovely day.

We haven't really done anything particularly noteworthy in the past couple of weeks.  Lindsey, Jim and i went to the Talbot market last Sunday and had a good potter around. I've been doing a bit of cooking. Apart from the usual going to work and stuff we've just been pottering around.

The Veg garden in boxes is doing quite well. There are green beans almost ready for picking. There are tiny lemons on the lemon trees (they won't ripen until next year, probably). We are beginning to see tomatoes set and there are tiny zucchini coming.  I have potted up some self seeded tomato plants to take up to Hill House to replace the ones the rabbits ate.  I have also bought some late cucumber and zucchini plants to take up there too.  I have fenced off Sister Stella's tomatoes and that seems to have stopped the rabbits from eating those down the ground (they had begun to nibble at them). I'll fence off the tub which the new plants are going in. I know it's a bit late but you never know - we might well get something from the plants.

Today is the start of a long weekend.  Not much different for me. I almost never work on Mondays. But it frees up lots of other people.  So Lindsey went down to Mount Martha after work yesterday and will bring Mother Stella up to Mount Helen for the weekend.  I'll take her back on Monday. There may well be Lunch tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment