Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Be careful if using a waffle peeler

When I was in Japan I bought what is called a Waffle Peeler. I've used it with carrots and it peels them so they look a bit like tiny waffles, or rippled chips/crisps.

I pondered whether you could use the peeler to make potato chips/crisps.  Then I wondered if you could make the chips in the dehydrator.  I decided to give it a go.

You have to be careful with the waffle peeler.  It is VERY sharp.  And I was careful.  And the potato chips were looking quite pretty.  Sometimes I ended up with potato shreds rather than waffles but I put them into a separate bowl.

Then disaster!!!

The waffle peeler got stuff on a piece of potato.  I tugged it - and it came free.  And took a generous chunk out of my finger ;-(

I dashed to the bathroom and washed it.  Then tried to staunch the flow of blood. Band aids were clearly not going to cut it.

Jim came to see if he could help. You would think that after 15 years of living with me he would know not to come until I summoned him!!  He went away when I yelled at him and came back a bit later when I called to let him know that the bathroom looked very much like Freddie Kreuger had come to visit.

I finally managed to get my finger to stop bleeding with enthusiasm by wodging (clean) handkerchiefs on it, pressing down hard and holding my hand up for about an hour.  That was all much more uncomfortable than the chunk out of my finger was!  Jim de-blooded the bathroom. Eventually the blood slowed enough so I could discard the hankies and use band aids instead.

This was all very well but the dehydrated potato chips really were not very nice. Definitely not worth the sacrifice of blood.  I'll give it another go using cooked potatoes instead but I suspect that dehydrating is not the way to go for potato treats (despite many people saying on Youtube that it worked well for them).

The breakfast rösti stack that I made for Jim this morning with the potato shreds worked well, though.  I microwaved the shreds for a couple of minutes and then stuffed them into silicone rings in the frying pan along with a large mushroom, a rasher of bacon and later a fried egg. Then I made a stack with them all.  Next time i'll add some lightly cooked tomatoes for a bit of colour on the plate.  Jim was a bit surprised to receive a rösti stack for breakfast but he ate it with every evidence of enjoyment.

I'll make rösti again.

I've also worked out a safer way of waffling potatoes, without adding the excitement of a visit from Freddie Krueger.

And I did manage to make the pizzas I had planned for the evening even using only one hand (I didn't want to risk breaking open the wound on my poor fingie)  I made one with loads of vegetables on top and one with prawns and scallops.  Much nicer than dehydrated potato chips!

1 comment:

  1. You have shared very good information which is commendable. You continued to publish articles like this. Keep writing continue.

    Thanks & Regards,
    Office cleaning perth

    ReplyDelete