Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Christmas Day

Jim and I went up to Hill House late in the morning.  I had spent the early part of the morning making tiny ginger biscuits and then attempting some shortbread. I really must try and get hold of my mother's late friend Bertha's recipe. Her shortbread was amazing.  Mine was OK.  And I need more practice with my new embossed rolling pin.  I'm not getting the picture on my biscuits.  YouTube says I should thoroughly flour the rolling pin before using it.  I'll give it a go next time.

People started to arrive for the Christmas Night festivities at about 4. Everyone was there by 6 and we had our present exchange. I must say that I did very well out of it.  Lots of new kitchen gadgets, amongst other things.

We sat down to eat at around 8, and a merry, festive feast it was.  Very much delicious food and wine.

Wendy, who doesn't drink much and, incidentally, whose birthday it was, drove Jim and me back to our place. She became the first person to sleep over at Tani. Lindsey and Ian had fewer people than normal sleeping at their place. Freyja and Simon went back to Ross' place. Various nieces and nephews went home or to other relatives' places. Jim, Wendy and I were, of course, at our place.  Still, what they lacked in overnight people guests, they made up for in doggy guests.  Two of the dogs who had been there for dinner went home with their people. That left 6 dogs overnight, two of whom live there and one of whom is a three or four month old puppy.

When Ant and Jess got married a couple of years ago, Lindsey took a lovely photo of Stella and Tony.  Stella asked for a copy of it but then everyone forgot all about it.  For Stella's Christmas present this year, Lindsey had it made into a canvas portrait.  It was propped up against the television in the lounge room for most of yesterday.  I have to say that it was a bit disconcerting - it looked very much as though they were sat inside the tv watching us!




Jim bought me a toasted sandwich maker for my birthday.  It had its first outing for lunch today.  I do like a nice toasted sandwich 🍞

No comments:

Post a Comment