Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, April 30, 2018

What a week

Well now.  That was an interesting week.

It all started on Monday, as working weeks so often do.  Although I don't actually work on Mondays it still feels like a working day rather than the last day of the weekend.  I think that's probably because we move up to Hill House at some point on Monday and clean up our place ready for visitors before we leave.  Not that we are expecting visitors, but the unit is still on the market and we do get phone calls from the estate agent asking if potential buyers can come through. Best to leave it ready, I think.

Anyway. Last Monday evening I misjudged the location of my dining chair and went flying.  All would have been well except that my forehead collided with the side of the kitchen bench.  I picked myself up and dusted myself down. It didn't seem that there was much damage, except that the wing had come off my glasses and I had a lump on my head and a graze by my eye.

On Tuesday morning I drove to work after sunrise, wearing my sunglasses - it is a condition of my driving licence that I wear my glasses and my sunnies are prescription glasses.  I often wear them anyway at that time of the morning. You are driving into the sun if heading from Ballarat towards Melbourne.  The lump on my head had grown overnight and the graze was more pronounced.

This all caused considerable comment when I got to the surgery!

As the day progressed a black eye began to develop round my right eye.

Wednesday was a public holiday and Jim and I went  for lunch at Mount Martha.  Jim had to drive. By now the black eye had spread right around my right eye, over my nose and down into the left eye. I looked as though I had done ten rounds with the heavyweight boxing champion of the world.  (I wonder who is the heavyweight boxing champion ...)

We had a good time at Mount Martha.  Stella had got in some steak and we had that for roasties and veg for lunch.  I had taken some old photos with me for them to look at.  When my uncle Jack died my cousins sorted out some photos for me.  Then when my aunt Joan moved in to her nursing home her daughter sorted out some more photos and they had all come over with us when our things were freighted across.  It was interesting looking at them with my parents - they didn't know who all the people were in some the photos but they could identify a number of the people who I didn't know.

Back to work on Friday and my eyes were in full blackness of eye.  Fortunately the swelling had gone down and I was able to drive.

Friday was also Rupert's first birthday.  You may remember that he was one of eleven puppies born to a dog who had been rescued by the Great Dane Rescue people - who didn't realise she was pregnant when they rescued her.  The arrival of 11 puppies came as something of a surprise to them!  Rupert is now a tall, lanky boy full of mischief and exuberance.  He is also a very loving dog and has a lovely nature.  I took him and Hugo some birthday treats when I headed back after work.

Saturday was a beautiful day and we went with Lindsey out to buy more doggie birthday treats. While we were out we went to the Lakeside market which was considerably more bustling than it was last month when it was cold, windy and very wet.  We had lunch at their place and then Jim and I walked down the hill to our place.  It is just over 2 km on foot and took a little over half an hour. It's a lovely walk, down through the University grounds.  We went back up in the evening to help them eat the piece of beef that Lindsey had bought at the market.

Sunday morning, fortunately another beautiful morning, found Jim and me driving to the Beaconsfield Pistol Club.  Not something I ever thought I would write!!!  We were off to a birthday party.  For the 11 puppies :-D  9 of the puppies came, including one from NSW and one from Tasmania.  They brought with them their humans and their doggie companions.  So Lindsey, Ian, Jim, Hugo and I accompanied Rupert.  The actual shooting range is an enclosed area so pretty much all the dogs were off lead and had a fabulous time tearing around and playing.

Photo by Lindsey.  Rupert is the dog with the bandage on his foot

There were tasty treats for the dogs, lots of food for the humans (I worried for the small boy who ate nothing but cakes, biscuits, slices and lollies. More accurately I worried for his parents or grandparents who might have to deal with the aftermath of the sugar fest in the night :-D  )  There was a lucky dip of birthday presents for the puppies. Hugo also got a present. Lindsey had taken one to make sure he didn't get left out.  It was a great afternoon.

Lindsey, Ian and Rupert

Jim and Hugo

Then Lindsey and Ian went to Melbourne in our car and I drove Lindsey's car back to Mount Helen, taking with me Jim and both the dogs.  Rupert slept all the way home.  Hugo also slept but not all the way.  He doesn't like getting in the car but loves it once he is in.  He sat up quite a lot of the way and watched out the window.  They both spent the evening sleeping on the couch with determination!

Sunday evening sunset
And my face is slowly settling back to normal.  I now have a bruised lump on my head and the remains of two black eyes but the worst of the bruising has faded.

Right.  I must get a wriggle on.  I have an online Japanese lesson in 15 minutes and I need to find a pen.


No comments:

Post a Comment