Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Booze and Weather

I went into Liquorland earlier in the week and noticed that they were selling one of our preferred wine casks at 3 for $37.  Usually they are $19 each. This was something of a saving so, although I had only gone in for one, I thought I should take advantage of this kind offer.

I went to pay.  "That'll be $57, please" said the nice young man at the till.  I obviously looked puzzled because he looked at me and said that he would check the price.  He went to the shelves, took all the special offer labels off and came back.  The offer had finished the previous day 😓

I was just about to say that I would take just the one cask, when he said that they would honour the shelf price of 3 for $37.50.  😀 I wasn't going to argue!!

On Thursday, Jim and I went to the IGA in Mount Clear.  Stella had asked me to get some beer for Jim for his birthday and I had thought I would get a couple of the Red Duck gift packs (or Quack Packs, as they call them). I had bought him one at Christmas and he had enjoyed the beer.  It's brewed somewhere in Ballarat and I think it's only a small venture.  I haven't seen their beers outside of Ballarat yet.

Birthday beer for Jim
So we picked up a couple of boxes, then noticed that they still had the Upside Down Tractor offer of 5 for $50 plus a bonus rosé.  We like Upside Down Tractor so decided to take advantage of this offer too.  Got to the till and the computer wanted to charge zillions of dollars.  I protested.  The woman at the till went and looked.  Odd, she said.  You'd think the computer would know.  It turned out back at the till that the offer had expired on Tuesday but no one had taken the sign down.  It's down now.  And I got my six bottle of wine for $50

No danger of us running out of wine in the next few days.  Or beer, come to that!

Winter is showing signs of waking up.  We had arranged to meet Lindsey at the lake this morning to have a wander around the little market.  It was 9d, grey and drizzly when I got up.  When we left it was drizzling with a bit more enthusiasm.  By the time we got to the lake it was raining, cold and WINDY.  There weren't many stalls there.  Nor were there many customers.  We didn't stay long but we did buy a few things.

Lindsey went back to her place.  Jim and I called in to Harris Scarfe, a place I had never been into or even really noticed until my friend Chris said it might be a good place to look for a stock pot.  She was right.  It has an excellent array of kitchen stuff.  We bought a stock pot and two morning tea mugs.

The BoM had been forecasting strong winds and heavy rain for here at around midday.  The weather dogs came out to play about 15 minutes early.  Boy did it rain


Video looking from our front door across the court


Video of our backyard

We went up to Hill House to have lunch with Lindsey and to try and sort out Rupert's bandage (which involved Jim more or less sitting on him while Lindsey tackled the bandage and I distracted Hugo with Scooby Snacks).  This is what we found when we got there:


Fortunately the tree missed Lindsey's car

It's quite a big tree. We might have to leave it there for the time being 


No comments:

Post a Comment