Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Saturday rain

My goodness but it rained yesterday.  For most of the day it drizzled with determination.

Then it stopped.

I decided that we really needed some carrots to go with our dinner, so took the opportunity of the break in the rain to head down to the bottom of the garden to get some.

The carrots grow in boxes almost as far from the house as it is possible to be whilst remaining in our garden!!

As I put my jacket and boots on, I could see rain beginning to come down the valley from the north. I hastened down our somewhat slippery path as fast as expediency would allow.  As fast as I could I pulled some carrots from the box, pulled the tops off and threw the tops into the chicken run.

As I moved as fast as possible back up the path toward the house, I could hear the rain rushing up behind me.  As I went into the porch, the rain arrived.

I had made it by the skin of my teeth!!!

And then it rained.  It really, really, really rained. The noise in the porch of the rain bouncing off the plastic roof was phenomenal.  The water found its way in along the sides of the porch and flooded down the house walls - we had to move everything way from the edges!  The area outside the back door going into the back garden turned into a small lake. The driveway always has little ponds in it when it rains. It turned into a small sea. Bridge street turned into a river. There was thunder and lightning.  And Marlo the Cat sat unperturbed on the letterbox inside the porch and ignored it all.

Then it stopped and went away, as quickly as it had come.

But the water butt up on the allotment which had been empty is now over half full - and it only feeds from a greenhouse so usually takes a while to fill up!

The carrots were very tasty, mind

No comments:

Post a Comment