Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

I decided on Saturday morning that I wanted a book or two about Singapore.  We are planning a couple of days there in December and I thought it might be interesting to see what, apart from shopping, there might be to do there.

So I took myself off to the Wingerworth library. I haven't been there for simply ages. I wasn't confidently expecting there to be books on Singapore, necessarily but it was worth going for a look.  Plus I wanted to put myself on the waiting list for the new Hairy Bikers' book and for some reason I couldn't do that online.  The Wingerworth library is a small, quiet little library, in the Wingerworth Parish Hall building. I was, therefore, somewhat stunned to find that the car park was absolutely full. Chockers. Not a parking space to be seen :-S Fortunately I managed to find somewhere to park out on the roadside. And equally fortunately not all the owners of the cars were in the library which is, as I said, very small. They were all in the hall itself.  Some sort of indoor fair raising money for the Wingerworth Well Dressing later in the month.

There were no books about Singapore. But I did manage to put my name down for the Hairy Bikers' new book, and to re-regsiter my card which had expired (and which explained why I couldn't place the hold myself, online!!).

So I went home and dragged The Builder away form the Olympics on the telly and we pottered into Chesterfield, where they had books about Singapore in the library. We also had a rather nice potter about in the market where I found a honey stall run by a lady selling her own honey, honey products and wax products. The Builder got a new battery for his watch (which took several times longer than we had anticipated - the watch resolutely refused to work whenever the battery man tried to put the back on again :-S)  We came home with supplementary stores of fruit and vegetables, a more or less working watch, some honey and some rather nice cheese.

And then in the evening we went out to dinner at the Nettle, in a slightly early celebration of our third wedding anniversary. Absolutely lovely it was. They too were very busy and their car park was also quite full.  But fortunately I had had the foresight to book a table. And as we walked in they handed us two wine glasses and a bottle of our usual wine (do you think we are maybe getting a bit predictable in our old age?). And we settled in for an evening of delicious food, nice wine and gentle conversation.

It was a lovely day on Sunday. The sun shone and everything.  We went to the allotment and pottered in the garden and The Builder watched more Olympics on the telly and we ate nice, homemade and largely home grown food and it was a pleasantly peaceful day. I spoke to Stella and Tony in the morning. Tony is beginning to feel quite a lot better after his unpleasant bout of optic shingles. It's nearly two months that he has been unwell but on Sunday he not only managed to go to church (Stella drove him) but also to play his flute.  Stella is complaining that she too has been unwell (she's had a bout of chicken pox) and has had no sympathy at all. But since nobody knew until after the event, then nobody will be sympathetic!  Anyway. I shall declare them both more or less better now.

Today actually is our wedding anniversary. We must be having a good time - that three years has simply vanished. The sun continues to shine (although rain is forecast for later in the day) and we are abandoning our austerity drive for the day in celebration. Back to austere tomorrow, but it would be bad form indeed to dine on stale crusts and to drink mouldy water on a day of celebration!!

No comments:

Post a Comment