Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tuesday off

I must say - I do agree with my colleague who tries hard to take off the day following an evening duty that is is a very good plan. When I first started working here you couldn't have done it. I had an evening duty every week and it would have eaten too vigorously into my annual leave. And I was younger then, and also lived very much closer to work so it didn't matter as much. But now I do one late shift a month and it's quite easy to take the following day off. I can almost always take it as time in lieu and not even as a day of annual leave.  Works a treat.

So that is what I did on Tuesday, following a Monday evening late shift. It was lovely. No need to get up and dash madly about in the morning. No need to dash madly about at all.  And it was a glorious day. The sun shone and it was pleasantly warm (although I think it was a very similar temperature in Ballarat - and while I was turning off our heating, Lindsey was declaring it to be far too cold and was turning hers on!!!)

So we went and bought some shelving for the porch, which The Builder has now put up. And the washing flapped happily on the line while the chickens pootled happily about in the orchard and Marlo lazed about in the sunshine. The Builder and I (but not the washing, the chickens or Marlo) went to The Nettle for lunch (but not to the chocolate feast in the evening). I made the grievous error of deciding to wipe some cobwebs and smudges off some tiles near the back door - and then had to keep on cleaning the tiles at the back of the kitchen because several years of neglect had made them look much darker than the newly cleaned ones now looked :-S (I must sort out the rest of the kitchen and clean that up before the Birthday Party visitors come on Easter Monday).

All in all it was a lovely day. It did make Wednesday morning a bit of a shock, though. I had had four mornings in a row of gentle pottering about. No gentle pottering on Wednesday :-S

And I think the coming Monday may well come as a horrible shock to the system. It was properly light when I got up this morning and got ready for work. It will be properly dark on Monday. Not that I intend to get up any earlier than normal - but the clocks go forward on Sunday morning :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment