Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sour Cream Pastry Dough

A little while ago I was listening to someone describing how they had made a batch of pastry using sour cream rather than milk or water to slacken the pastry. It sounded quite interesting to me so I made a mental note of it.

On Saturday morning I wanted to make some party pies and some party sausage rolls for a birthday party that afternoon. So I took 200g of cold, unsalted butter (grated) and mixed it with 250g of plain white flour, gently, by hand. Then I stirred through around 60ml of sour cream - enough so that it formed a soft dough when gently kneaded. Then I left the dough to cool in the fridge for about an hour. I rolled half of it very thinly and cut into a long oblong which I filled with a long thin sausage of pork and sage sausage meat. I rolled the pastry around it, sealed it with egg wash, painted the top with egg wash,slashed the top several times and then cut in into bite sized sausage rolls. I baked the sausage rolls at 150d for about 30 minutes.

While they were baking I rolled out the other half of the pastry which I cut into rounds which I lined my mini-muffin tray with. I filled this with a beef mince and tomato filling (flavoured with extra tomato paste, a little balsamic vinegar, some soya sauce and some black pepper), popped lids on the little pies, egg washed them and then baked them also at 150d for around half an hour.

The pastry was a lovely, rich, rough puff pastry which went really well with the sausage rolls and the pies.  Then I made a second lot of pastry, with less butter and more sour cream, to make mini potato, leek and cheese pies. This made a lovely, light shortcrust style pastry which went extremely well with the potato pies.

While I was about it I made up a batch of vanilla biscuit dough (200g unsalted butter, 150g vanilla infused caster sugar, 400g plain flour, 1 egg, a dash or two of vanilla essence, rolled quite thickly, baked at 150d for 4 minutes, then turn the tray around, then bake for another 4 minutes) which I cut into kangaroo and teddy bear shapes (although most people seemed to think they were koalas). I cheated and used writing icing to decorate them. They went down a storm at the birthday party :-) (So did the pies, sausage rolls and veggie pies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment