Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, March 26, 2012

My goodness but it was foggy on Saturday morning

So foggy that you couldn't see the garden at all, let along the farm or the railway or Grassmoor or Churchside. You couldn't see ANYTHING!! It was as though the place had been eaten by The Nothing :-S

Fortunately, it had lifted a little bit by 10:15 when I had to go out.  I had an appointment with a hairdresser.  Not the hairdresser in the village, where I've been going since we moved in. I got a bit cross with them when I went for a haircut just before we went to Japan (having booked it with my usual stylist and having told her it was the cut before I went to Japan for my son's wedding) only to find I had been bumped to another stylist who never cuts my hair all that well, because it was the day of the village festival and my regular one had to do the hair of the pageant princesses and wotnot. I know that that was important, but had anyone mentioned it, I could have gone on another day. Wasn't happy! I wasn't happy last time I went either when I couldn't make an appointment for 8 weeks hence because "We haven't made the book up that far yet - you'll have to ring us in a couple of weeks". And of course, I never did. And eventually I was starting to look like a rather unkempt Old English Sheepdog.

So I decided to try somewhere else. But where? In times of recession, hair salons appear to breed like rabbits.  They're everywhere. How to choose? The barber The Builder goes to has recently taken on a women's stylist and I considered trying her. But then I noticed that every morning on our way to the station we drive past a unisex salon in Grassmoor. I decided to go there. And so I went, through the fog. And she didn't do a bad job. And she's cheaper than the other place. AND, when I asked if I could have another appointment in 8 weeks time they didn't say they hadn't made their book up yet - they said yes. So I did!

So I have finally had a hair cut, I no longer look like an unkempt Old English Sheepdog - and I have a new hairdresser, not a five minute walk from home but a five minute drive :-)

The fog did eventually clear on Saturday, but not until the mid-afternoon, by which time we'd been and done a little shopping and we'd done a few useful domestic chores and had settled down to watch television and generally while away the rest of the day.

The clocks went forward by an hour on Sunday, overnight.

We woke up to more fog.  But it cleared very early and turned into the most glorious spring day. It was almost summer-like. The Builder watched the Grand Prix and I made a start on cutting back the deadness of winter in the garden. The Builder came out later to help. And instead of retreating inside, we sat outside on the patio and drank Sunday wine and planned our gardeny plans for the coming season. The thermometer on the grape trellis proudly proclaimed that it was 35d - which it was in the sunshine, but not quite so much in the shade. It was, nevertheless, a stunning afternoon. And then we went back inside and had a lovely Sunday roast and some plums in a sweet Yorkshire pudding batter

And then it was Monday and back to work for me. No fog this morning. Just a really hard frost which had covered the car windows in ice. Took The Builder ages to clear the windows. It's lovely and sunny and warm now though.

Sunday wine in the garden

No comments:

Post a Comment