Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Sorting out the freezers

As you may have heard, we've had a fairly good harvest this year from many of our fruits and vegetables. As surpluses and winter provisions have been coming in, I've been bagging them and chucking them into the freezers wherever I could find a space. No order, no organisation. Completely random.

The downside of this was that I *knew* that there was some bacon in there somewhere, but couldn't find it.  Somewhere in the upright freezer there's a bag of prawns I got in Lyme Regis.  I'm *sure* that I've got a small bag of cherries - but where?

I've emailed Farmer Jayne to see if they're still doing whole and half beasts for the freezer.  Haven't hear back from her, but thought I really ought to sort out the freezers before anything else arrives.  In any case, if things are chucked in at random, they are not in the least packed efficiently.

So I set to, and unpacked both freezers.

I tried to be orderly when I unpacked the freezers.  Fruit over here, mainly gooseberries, rhubarb and plums

Peas, beans and onions over here

Meaty things here, divided into fast and slow cooking cuts

The dining room table is absolutely full, but there's still this box to be incorporated

Winter stewing cuts from Donald Russell

Dining table cleared, tidy and cleaned

Chest freezer full of vegetables and tomatoes. Still a little bit of space

Upright freezer neatly packed with meat, fruit and odd bits and pieces


My worry is that we still have peas, beans, tomatoes, courgettes, pumpkins, sweet corn and other things to come. Definitely no room for anything else and certainly not half a pig and a whole sheep. Might need to buy a third freezer :-S

But at least we aren't going to starve over the winter.  Always supposing that the National Grid holds up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment