Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Time to decorate?

You may remember that I noticed some weeks ago that whenever we go to anyone's house we find it absolutely spotless.  Gleaming.  Shiny.  Cobweb-free.  Dust-free. Beautiful.  Immaculate.

Our house, on the other hand, is dishevelled, dusty, cobwebby, not gleaming, definitely not shiny.

I have embarked on a clean up operation.  Weekend by weekend, I have been cleaning and polishing one room.  The Builder has tackled the manky window sill and window frames in the kitchen, although the kitchen itself needs a deep clean.  I have more or less done the spare room (need to clear away some of the stuff lying on the bed before Lindsey comes). The dining room has been done, apart from the window sills.  I've been dusting skirting boards, I've cleaned the banister and dusted the wooden thingies down the stairs.  Anyway.  This weekend it was the turn of our bedroom. 

Well.  Such a palaver.  The Builder has vacuumed the carpet.  I have vacuumed the carpet.  You wouldn't think a vacuum cleaner had ever been in the room.  I've dusted the slatted wardrobe doors.  I dusted the horrid door.  ENOUGH!

Who thought that it was a good plan to put a cream carpet on the floor?  Who on earth thought it was a plan to put slatted wardrobe doors in a house backing on to a field? And the doors have always been horrible. 

I have begun thinking about what we might replace everything with.  Wooden floors, I think.  Nice new, unslatted, dust-free doors for the wardrobe.  A proper bedroom door.  And we might even take off the wallpaper and paint the room.  A whole new colour scheme :-)  Alas, we can't do it yet.  Need to save up.  My plans are not cheap, sadly.

Today I have turned out the lounge room and moved all the chairs around.  Looks good - but the little entrance bit needs doing still.  And I have discovered a sledge hammer in The Builder's possession.  I wonder how hard it would be to knock down the little bit of wall by the front door ....

Mind you, if you are going to look under the cupboard in the bathroom, you either need to do it regularly and often, or not at all.  Once every 18 months is absolutely not a good plan!!  I am much too scared to look under the bath!!!!!!!

Might have to tackle the cellar at some point.  Marlo came up from there over the weekend looking for all the world like a white cat.  Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment