Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, November 25, 2010

A fruit pasty

I had kicking about in the kitchen some puff pastry that needed using up.  I was pondering what to have for dessert.  In the freezer I had some gooseberries.  In a box I had some apples.  On the baking shelves I had custard powder and various diferent sorts of sugars.  In the fridge I had some cream that was slightly beyond its useby date.

So.  I rolled out the puff pastry fairly thinly and put in the middle a mound of frozen gooseberries.  I took some of the apples and peeled them, then chopped the apple up into small pieces.  On top of that I put a couple of dessertspons of custard powder and of  soft dark brown sugar.  For good measure I tipped the left over cream on top of all of that.  Then I folded over the pastry and formed it into a rough pasty shape and crimped the edges.  Egg wash and a *little* springling of sugar over the top and into a medioumn oven it went until the pastry was golden and the fruit and custard were bubbling.

It was delicious.  Amazing what you can do with left overs and a few storecupboard/freezer staples!

It really should have been a Sunday indulgence.  But a rare Wednesday afternoon at home seemed a good enough reason for a mid-week indulgence!

No comments:

Post a Comment