Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, November 25, 2010

A mid-week mini-weekend

There is something rather indulgent about having a Wednesday off.  But should I have a mid-week Saturday and do lots of useful things, or a mid-week Sunday and eat and drink lots?  A tough call!

We started out doing Saturday things.  We took some stuff to the Post Office.  I did some washing and ironing. We cleared up and tidied. I even washed the kitchen floor.

Then we segued into Sunday and had a Sunday G&T and roast chicken with veg from the garden (chard, sprouts and carrots, since you ask) and roasted bright red potatoes, with a fruit pasty to follow, accompanied by white wine.  I had a nice hot bubble bath.  We had home made bread with my plum jam for supper.  It was all very indulgent.  A nice counter to the icy winds outside.

I really  must work out some way to have Wednesdays always off.  I quite enjoyed my mid-week mini-weekend :-)

A great big enormous box arrived on Monday.  Inside were some calendars, some Advent calendars and a much smaller box bearing Freyja's Christmas present.  (Freyja - your clue is that we saw your Christmas present in Cambridge, but that is not where I bought it!).  The rest of this enormous box was filled with wads and wads of brown paper.  Marlo has decided that this box, minus the calendars and the box but including all the brown paper, was clearly intended as a cat basket and has moved into it.  The box has taken up residence in the lounge room!

I actually worked a weekend shift last weekend.  I haven't done a weekend shift since Psalter Lane closed two years ago.  They called for volunteers to work 1-5 on Sunday afternoon.  4 hours.  That seemed OK to me, especially since Sundays get paid at double time.  It didn't seem quite such a good idea as Sunday lunchtime approached and I had to get ready to come to work. But it was all OK when I got to the Adsetts Centre.  It's ages since I had seen the weekend staff and it was good to catch up.  It was, mercifully, a nice, quiet, uneventful shift.  There were no floods, plagues, famines or other catastrophes.  A nice afternoon.

And now Lindsey is nearly here - the temperature has plummeted, they're forecasting snow showers for the end of the week and the weekend and winter is most definitely making an early but vigorous appearance.  Lindsey is presently in Indonesia, with Ian, Stella and Tony, playing with elephants in 30d temperatures.  I think she's going to notice the difference!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment