Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Slow cooked shoulder of lamb

I wanted to do something a bit different than just to slow roast the lamb shoulder, but didn't want to have to go out and buy lots of exotic ingredients. So decided to use what I had to hand, except for red wine which I had to buy.  Fortunately, Sainsbury's had lots of offers on red wine, so my supplies are now stocked up!

I put some quartered baby parsnips, quartered baby carrots, a chopped leek, some garlic, some chicken stock and a bottle of red wine in a casserole, into which my shoulder of lamb fitted quite snuggly. I sat the lamb on top of everything, put the lid on the casserole and put it into a very low oven for around 4.5 hours, stirring it lightly every now and then.  After 4.5 hours I took the lid off, turned the oven up very slightly to crisp off the lamb and put some potatoes on to boil. Over the potatoes I steamed some pak choi, some more carrots and some beans.

While the lamb was resting, I strained the meat juices through a fine mesh strainer, squishing the vegetables so I extracted as much liquid as possible.  I made the resulting broth into a gravy, thickened with cornflour.  I creamed the potatoes and shredded the lamb and served it piled up with the steamed vegetables on the potato with the gravy over the top. (And once again I forgot to take photoes.  Trust me - it looked and tasted delicious!!!)

I used the left over lamb and gravy to make a stew on Monday. And the left over stew made a fine hotpot for Wednesday.  We had pork belly strips on Tuesday, just by way of a change

No comments:

Post a Comment