Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, September 07, 2009

Slow roasted brisket

I put into the bottom of my wonderful Le Creuset casserole some orange sweet potato, carrot and leek chopped into small chunks. On top of this, I put a piece of brisket. I added a healthy glug or six of red wine (although you could use white if red wine is not your thing), some crushed garlic and about half a litre of chicken stock. Then I put the lid on and put it into a low oven (140d) for several hours and forgot about it. I could have done it in my slow cooker - but it was Sunday and I didn't get up early enough!!

When I put the potatoes in to roast, I turned the oven up to 200d, put the potato tray at the top and took the lid off the casserole. After 40 minutes I took the brisket out and wrapped it in foil to rest. I put the vegetables and juices into the blender and pureed it all and then put it through a fine mesh strainer so I had a thick-ish sauce. The remains of the vegetables went in the compost bin! The sauce wasn't quite thick enough to be gravy for my taste, so I thickened it slightly with rice flour. (I have recently discovered rice flour as a thickening agent - it's so much nicer than cornflour.)

The brisket fell apart when I carved it. The vegetably gravy was delicious. And we had it with the roast potatos (home grown Shetland Blacks, which have black skin and a purple mottled flesh) and steamed home grown carrots, broad beans, runner beans, peas and cabbage. It was absolutely delicious.

We had a rhubarb bread pudding for dessert which was also delicious. It was made to a wartime food rationing recipe so wasn't particularly rich (no sugar, no eggs, just rhubarb, bread, jam, custard). I would have made it with full fat Jersey milk. I bought some especially. No idea where it is. It's completely vanished. I had to use skimmed milk for the custard! Next time I'll put in more jam (I skimped a bit) and use proper milk - skimmed milk does not an adequate custard make!!

No comments:

Post a Comment