Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, September 03, 2009

A cake recipe for Lindsey

This is a standard cake recipe that most bakers seem to use

250g each of sugar, butter and SR flour
4 eggs

Some people just plonk all of this in their food processor and blitz it. However, I follow the more conventional method of creaming the sugar and butter until creamy and fluffy, then beating in each egg until properly incorporated and then adding the flour. If I am making a chocolate cake, I replace some of the flour with a generous dollop or three of good quality cocoa.

Put the cake in a pre-heated oven at 180d or 160 if fan-forced for around 45-50 minutes. It's cooked when it's springy to the touch and smells like cake

If I am adding fruit to the cake, I have taken to using a tip I ran across somewhere (alas, I can't remember where)which suggested putting half the cake mix in the cake tin, and then stirring the fruit into the rest of the batter. This is supposed to help prevent the fruit all sinking to the bottom. And it does!!!

On Tuesday I used the same recipe to make cupcakes, except I had the oven at 150d and baked them for only around 30 minutes. When they had cooled I cut cone shapes out of the top, filled the hole with raspberry jam, then put the cones back in. I would take a photo of one or two - except the people in the office have eaten them all. There are still some at home. I'll try and remember to add a photo this evening

And I remembered!

No comments:

Post a Comment