Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Slow Cooked Sunday Lamb

Some weeks ago, The Builder and I bought a half sheep at Chatsworth. And very delicious it has been.

Yesterday, I decided to slow roast a (small!) shoulder piece. As I was pondering what to do with it, I vaguely remembered that one of my slow cooker books says that you can slow cook Sunday roasts, pointing out that there is no need to add liquid.

Despite the dire warnings in the instruction manual about NOT cooking without liquid, I decided to give it a go.

So – I put a mix of various different mushrooms (shitake, oyster, crimini, and some that look remarkably like dead, desiccated and very small penises) in the bottom of the slow cooker, plonked the lamb breast bit on top and set it to auto then wandered off to do other things until dinner time.

About 9 hours later, I put some potatoes to roast in the oven.

About 30 minutes after that I turned the oven up to high, took the lamb out of the slow cooker and put it in with the potatoes for 15 minutes.

We had it with a Moroccan sauce and with carrots and glazed cabbage.

It was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!!! Really fantastic. Much more fantastic than the stews I’ve been making, which have been nice, but not stunningly fantastic (I prefer my stews a little thicker and richer than I have so far managed to achieve in the slow cooker). It was meltingly tender and tasted wonderful.

It also left me a truly lovely lamb jelly which I am planning to use with the left-overs tonight.
I might try cooking my stews with half the amount of liquid that the recipes suggest and see what happens with that.

And yes – normally I would have given up red meat well before now during Lent. I have a different list of things this year. Red meat goes next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment