Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Slow Cooked "Roast" Lemon Chicken



First thing this morning, I tore up a load of oyster mushrooms and put them in the bottom of the slow cooker. Then I stuffed the cavity of my superb free range chook with two lemons, chopped in half. The chook and its lemons went on top of the mushies and I added a tiny bit of boiling water just to start the steaming process.

I put it on auto and went to work. We came back at about half five to find the house smelling enticingly of roast chicken. It was surrounded by lemony liquid.

The chicken pretty much fell apart as I took it out of the cooker, although it was the bones rather than the meat itself which fell apart. The meat was meltingly tender but hadn't disintegrated. I reduced the lemon liquor and skimmed off the fat. It made a lovely sauce to go with the chicken, new potatoes, cauli, sprouting broccoli and carrots.

Marlo is STILL insisting that he hasn't yet had anything like his share of the chook!!

No comments:

Post a Comment