Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

A Foodie Miscellenay

What to do with the left over roast beef from Sunday? I decided to heat it gently with the left over vegetable gravy, some caramelised onions and some mushrooms. WE had it with boiled little potatoes, sweet potato and sprouting broccoli. And Yorkshire Puddings. The Yorkies were AMAZING!

I made my standard batter mix when I got home (equal quantities of eggs, milk and plain flour - it doesn't matter what the quantities are but they must be equal - whisked to aerate it and then put in the fridge to get nice and cold). I have two single person lasagne dishes. I put a generous slug of vegetable oil in each of them and then put them in the oven as it was warming up to its hottest temperature. By the time it had reached its top temperature, the oil was bubbling. I took the dishes out of the oven and shut the door, all as hastily as I could. I then poured in the cold batter (which sizzled satisfactorily) and put the dishes back in the oven as quickly as I could move without tipping everything all over the place. Leave the batter in the oven undisturbed for 15 minutes and remove. The Yorkies has risen all the way UP TO HERE!!!!!!! Ordinarily I would have turned the oven off after 15 minutes and left the pudding in to dry off a bit only everything else was ready. This meant that the puddings sank a bit in the middle as they cooled. This didn't really matter - they would have sunk anyway when I put the beef, mushrooms, onions and gravy on top of them!

It was all very delicious :-)

The slow cooker. I have been continuing my experiments with the slow cooker. Some quite tenacious internet searching has revealed that the medium setting on my slow cooker is the equivalent of the auto setting on other models, which means that it heats the food to the top heat and then adjusts down to slow to keep it just fractionally under simmering (why the manufacturer's booklet couldn't just say that is a mystery!. Last week I tried a recipe for overnight slow cooked porridge (Dorset cereals raspberry and cranberry fruit porridge). I have to say it was just lovely. A little thick for me (will add extra liquid next time) but rather like a steamed breakfast pudding to eat. I really enjoyed it. And at the weekend I did a pork hock in a Chinese style "sticky" sauce (had to reduce it quite hard on the stove before serving to make it properly sticky) which was equally delicious. I think I probably still prefer the texture of things slow cooked in the oven - but I probably wouldn't wander off and leave the oven unattended for 12 or more hours. THe slow cooker seems perfectly happy left to its own devices.

And a restaurant review. We went with my work team for a Spring is Sprung meal last Friday evening. Zeugma on London Road in Sheffield. It's not fine dining by any means. You wouldn't expect it to be fine dining on London Road. But it is a Turkish restaurant in which Turkish people eat. The food is plentiful (overly so, in fact) and is absolutely delicious. I really enjoyed my starter (cacik - the Turkish version of tzatziki) which was probably enough to feed three of us. I did, however, really, really regret having had it when I completely failed to eat my truly delicious lamb ishkender main course. I did my best! Next time - main courses only!! Even The Builder couldn't manage his mixed grill main, delicious though it was. But if you are looking for tasty, good, abundant, not very expensive Turkish food in Sheffield, then Zeugma is your place.

No comments:

Post a Comment