Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Easter

The weather has been absolutely fantastic. Thursday was an especially lovely day; it was warm and sunny, and it was school holidays so there was not traffic on the roads. I was at Collegiate in the morning and Psalter in the afternoon, so left home at just after 8 in the car and had a lovely, quiet, sunny drive into work. Got there just after half past 8. Can’t do that during term time!

In fact, we’ve been enjoying lovely spring weather virtually all week, with the exception of Tuesday which was cool and grey and gloomy – but no rain. I’ve even fired up the barbecue. Granted, I only put potatoes and sweet potatoes in to cook, but they were very delicious and it was nice to sit outside in the sunshine. I regret, however, that by the time The Builder came back fro playing on the allotment, I seem to have drunk most of the wine :-S Never mind. There’s plenty of beer!

So. It’s Easter. After all that time, I can eat whatever I want again. Though strangely, I am not craving anything other than bacon. Mind you, the Good Friday fish pie was rather spectacular, even if I do say so myself! Jeanette, Matt and Rebecca were intending to come for the weekend on Saturday, for which I had planned a Turkish style veggie feast, with falafel and flat bread and salads and things. They rang to say they couldn’t come because Rebecca was poorly sick with a stomach complaint, just *after* we had bought the vegetables, but fortunately before we had bought the rest of the stuff. They eventually came on Sunday when Rebecca had recovered. Happily she failed to pass it on to the rest of the family! Tabitha and Gareth were due to come on Sunday, but rang to say that they had been attacked by a pub and wouldn’t be joining us until Monday. Was quite a large Easter feast, then. I had lamb and chicken, ready to feed seven and in the end only needed to feed four. Still, the left over chicken did for lunch on the Monday. And an Easter feast is an Easter feast, no matter how many you have to feed! I did enjoy the lamb. And the bacon for breakfast!

Easter Monday was The Builder’s 65th birthday. He’s eligible to draw his Old Aged Pension. Though he’s not allowed to. Anyone, no matter how ancient, who thinks they can sit about and idle their days away while I have to go to work, has another think coming!! We did have a cake party to celebrate his eligibility, however. And he has been very busy in the garden and on the allotment, where there is now one assembled greenhouse (just lacking some glass) and beds ready for potatoes.

So there we were, on Wednesday, or so of last week. The Builder was driving me into work and asked who was coming to the party. Hmm, let me think. This person, that person, someone or another, Paul and Carol, another person, and thisaone, and - bugger! Paul’s coming. The Builder was a bit surprised at the vehemence of my objection. I thought you liked Paul, said he. I thought you were really rather fond of him. Yes, yes. It’s not his actually presence which is causing me angst. But in my proposed menu, there is not one single solitary thing he can eat. Not a crumb. Not a sausage. Bugger. I rethought the menu. And on Monday morning got up and started baking. I made a pavlova with marscapone and cream and kiwi fruit. I made (and I am very proud of this!) a gluten free raspberry trifle. I made a fruit crumble with porridge oats. And, at great personal sacrifice, I made a flourless chocolate cake that everyone present could eat- apart from me :`( I had a gluten free dining room, and glutened nibblies in the lounge room. Everything was veggie friendly. Sooooo proud of myself was I. Lots of people came, including some quite small people (the youngest was 10 weeks old – he didn’t eat much cake, though his 20 month old sister developed an unfortunate taste for twisties – not that that is unfortunate in itself, it’s just that they’re not readily available in the UK). Tabitha and Gareth turned up, having escaped from the pub, bringing with them Freyja and Mark, in time for lunch out in the garden. People seemed to enjoy the cakes. They all seemed to have a good time. Then everyone went home, leaving just Taffa, Gaz, The Builder and me, and a mountain of washing up!!!

Tuesday was gloomy. We finished the washing up, bravely tackled by Gaz on Monday evening. Then we went for a wander along to the wetlands to see what progress they’re making. And they are making progress, but no extra paths are open yet. Then we came home for a Sunday lunch on a Tuesday of lamb chops and mashed potatoes. I seem to have had a week made up of a series of Fridays, followed by about three Sundays. I do like Sundays!

Since then, we’ve been out in the garden and pootling about. We had thought about going out today, but it’s a lovely morning and the pull of the garden is strong. We might perhaps go for a walk this afternoon. We have had quite a collection of birds in the garden this week. The regulars, like blackbirds, starlings, doves, pigeons, robins and blue tits. Plus great tits, goldfinches and a greenfinch. And on Monday afternoon, The Builder, Steve-next-door and I watched a crow chasing off a sparrow hawk high up above. Oh – and yesterday there were paragliders up above, coming down to land in the playing fields. All very exciting.

So it’s been a good Easter. And I am off this week, apart from tomorrow morning when I am going in for my course, plus I have Monday off. Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment