Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, April 07, 2006

Greetings all. Back again

Hmm. It is probably a good idea, if you are intending to head away for several days training on the Monday, not to take to the lounge room on the Sunday, armed with several wheelbarrows of wine, to watch the grand prix, other sport, tellie generally, then to roast chicken and stuff for Taffa, Gareth, The Builder and yourself, then to continue dealing with the wheelbarrows of wine until bedtime. Makes it Oh-So-Difficult to get up and to be ready in order to catch the 08:20 train to Edinburgh! We did catch it though and we caught it easily. But we left quite some chaos behind us as we ambled out the door.

Was fun though! I think the chicken must have been all right. There wasn't any left on Monday morning. Not a morsel.

We had a great time in Edinburgh. I really, really enjoyed the course, which was on digital mapping, using historic maps and How To Be the SHU Site Rep for Digimap at the University of Edinburgh. It was very much more interesting than I had been expecting. And the lunches were lovely :-) The Builder also had a lovely time -- at the Edinburgh Castle, walking the streets, pottering about, conducting exhaustive research into Edinburgh pubs (I helped with some of the pub research) and riding the tourist buses. Mostly the sun shone, though it did snow on The Builder on the first afternoon, just as I walked into the UniEd library! We had lovely views of one of the most salubrious bits of Edinburgh from our room. We walked to and from the University. We ate lovely food in the hotel and drank lots of wine. The trains ran to time in both directions. It was all good.

It is, however, not a good combination for keeping me awake. Intense concentration during the day, food and wine in the evening and then lying on the bed to watch television. Don't think I was awake much beyond 21:00 either night we were there!

House report:

Simon -- you can't see the house at the moment. I don't have any digital photographs of it and they've taken down the estate agent's brochure. I'll see what I can do. If it's quiet tomorrow (and if I remember to bring it with me) I'll try to scan the photo from the brochure and include it in the blog!). You could, of course, always come and look at it in person!

I *think* things are progressing with the house. The solicitor rang to say that he had received the contract and was just waiting for us to OK him running the land registry searches. We are waiting for a mortgage agreement on paper before we do that. The mortgage company sent a letter at the end of last week saying they were organising a mortgage survey, and then rang this morning to discuss buildings insurance, so I assume things are trundling along with them and that the mortgage survey has now been done and approved. But most of this is guesswork. You must all continue to keep your digits crossed!

Right. Tomorrow's Friday. I'm due at Psalter Lane again tomorrow morning. It is *your* responsibility to make sure that I remember, that I remember in a timely manner, and that I actually go there. We don't need a repeat of last week!

It's The Builder's birthday on Sunday. I've got him the most fantastic present.


Oh -- and his van is now back from the van hospital. His bank account is now £1200 lighter. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment