Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Oops

Was peacefully eating my porridge this morning. Idly wondered what desk shift I was supposed to be doing and what else the day had in store. Looked in the diary.

Bugger! Quick, Mr Builder. Will you run me to Psalter Lane and will you do it **NOW**? "Oh," said he. "Are you meant to be at Psalter Lane this morning? When?" **NOW** Now this very absolute minute.

So he drove me to Psalter Lane. I was only 6 or 7 minutes late. No worries. But explain to me, if you can, why I didn't just drive myself up. There's no problem with parking up there at all! On the other hand, it might have been difficult to park back at home at lunchtime and there's absolutely no point bringing a car into town, which is where I've been this afternoon.

Tsk. I'm doing loads of cover sessions at Psalter Lane over the next few months. Best put them on the calendar!

The estate agent has taken "our" house off the website so you can't look at it now. I hope that this means that things are proceeding in an orderly fashion. I assume there haven't been any unexpected problems with the mortgage -- I'd have thought if they were going to turn it down on the grounds that they had the Wrong Frances Hyde, they'd have told Nigel and that he would have told me. I can't imagine the survey will turn up anything major structurally. Seemed quite sound to us. Well, to The Builder. I probably wouldn't notice anything amiss until it started falling down on my head!

I've emailed the parish council (which is the local council, really; I don't think there is an exact Australian equivalent) about allotments for growing the spuds on. I've found the surgery, the dentist and the hairdresser. I've located two pubs, a butcher, a general store and a post office (one of these has the videos, the other the booze). What have I forgotten? (We're going to have to move to New Tupton now even if we have to rent. I know far too much about that village to abandon it at this stage. Grin!)

Soon be time to go. The Builder and I are off to a farewell do this evening. I am decked out in my new olive green fleecy cardi (£5 from Hawkshead) and my new grey trousers from Hawkshead (£10). Last of the big spenders, me!

There goes March. Enjoy April!

No comments:

Post a Comment