Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, July 11, 2022

Mount Martha

This weekend might have been the last time Stella was in Mount Martha. I think it likely that Lindsey and I will be there again, possibly also Matthew. There is a LOT of sorting, tidying and organising of the house to be done before it can go on the market. There is stuff absolutely everywhere!

We did our best over the weekend. Lindsey took Stella down on Saturday and they stayed overnight. Jim and I went on Sunday morning, as did Matthew. Freyja and Simon joined us at the Dava for what might have been our last Sunday lunch there. We all went back to the house and filled our cars with things that Stella wants in her room in Mount Clear, things that we want (or don't particularly want but were prevailed upon to take!) and papers that need sorting out.

This didn't seem to make much of a dint in the Stuff! I found a bundle of receipts kept by my father and all clipped together, from supermarket shops, Dava lunches, various other things, dating back years and years. I'm not sure why he had this obsession with keeping receipts for absolutely everything. When he died I found the itemised lists of supermarket deliveries dating back years. I threw them away, just as yesterday I threw away the bundle of faded receipts. It is possible that I err the opposite way - I almost never keep receipts unless I need them for proof of warranty on very expensive items. I don't buy very many hugely expensive items! And I can't remember many, or indeed any, occasions when I have wished that I had kept a receipt.

Anyway. There is a great deal of clearing, organising and furniture moving to be done. I must keep up the "death cleaning" of our place, and particularly the study. Tony's study was always immaculate until he got sick. Since then, and especially since he died, it has become more and more dishevelled and in recent times has become something of a dumping ground. I would not want my study to induce the same level of heart sinking after my death or incapacity.

I think we are going to need a large skip at some point. Or two. Or more.


Sunday lunch at the Dava:







I was there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment