Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, April 24, 2022

Backyard

 This is how the backyard patio looked yesterday morning:


And this is how it looks this morning:


These are the culprits:

Three baby dwarf apple trees:
Bramley, Fuji and Snow

I was intending to put them in large tubs along the side fence but then thought it might look better if I put in an edged bed, using some of the wooden raised beds I had in the garage. A quick video consult with Freyja and she agreed the wooden beds would look better, so that was what I did:


I had intended to leave them as two panel beds, but I think I might put the third panels in and top up the soil (which I took from one of the metal vegetable beds I am intending to replace) with some compost before I plant the trees. I might also plant the Bramley on the other side of the fence. I think they will probably grow too big, even as dwarf trees, to fit three in that little bed. I would have bought two trees, but I really wanted the Bramley and I believe that a Bramley won't pollinate other apple trees (although they will pollinate it - apparently). That's ok. I'm sure I can find room somewhere. But I might almost have enough fruit trees now. There are two lemon trees, a Tahitian lime tree that Jim got for his birthday which I think I will put with the lemon trees. There are an orange and a mandarin tree in tubs out the front and now three apple trees. Plus I have raspberry canes, a rhubarb plant, two gooseberry bushes, two blackcurrant bushes and two blueberry bushes. It's only a teeny tiny garden and it grows vegetables and herbs as well.

It's supposed to be good weather today and tomorrow, which is a public holiday for ANZAC Day. I'll try and get the patio sorted out so it's useable again. And so that it looks beautiful, of course 😂

I seem to have accidentally trashed the kitchen as well.  I'm really not sure how that happened. It's true that I came back from the market and the butcher yesterday with lots of bounty, but even so!


I'd better go and tidy it up, I suppose. Although, if I happen to excavate the coffee pot ...

No comments:

Post a Comment