Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Ever since the district nurses have been coming to help Jim shower we've been going through towels at speed. They use at least two towels to dry Jim and the floor, plus I've got a bath mat by the shower and by the bath and I have a towel on the bed for him to sit on when they dress him. Not all of these need washing each time the nurses come but some of them do.

It is proving very difficult to dry them with the central heating out of action. Likewise the sheets. I have caved in and bought a tumble drier. I haven't had a drier for many years and haven't really needed one when I had radiators or hot air blowing around to help dry things. Also, there hasn't been anywhere to put one.

In Tani, of course, there is the garage.

A nice man came yesterday morning and delivered the new drier. I had moved the car out of the garage for ease of access, and made a space for it. As the man walked into the garage with the drier, he said something that I didn't catch. I asked him to repeat it and he did. He was speaking in Arabic. He then explained (in English) that he had asked a blessing on our home. All blessings are received with gratitude, in any language. I was very pleased both with my drier and with the blessing.

The district nurse had been coming on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The original intention had been that they would also come on Saturdays, so the visits were nicely spaced. They were less well spaced when we dropped the Saturday because of the inconvenience, largely to me. They can't say when they will come with any certainty at the weekends (not that they can during the week but it's a bit more precise) and I didn't want to have to stay at home potentially all day on Saturdays, waiting for them. So we've moved the Tuesday visit to Monday. It works much better. 

Jim's disabled parking ticket has arrived. It took exactly a week from when Dr Jenni put the application in to it arriving in out mail box.

I was getting out of the car up at Rupert and Hugo's place and became aware that there was something overhead.  I looked up and there was a wedge tailed eagle above me, quite low down. It had moved along by the time I got my phone out to take its portrait:



The magpies were hiding in. the long grass in the paddock. The rosellas were hiding in the trees. The horses were watching, I assume out of curiosity since full grown horses probably aren't an eagle's target prey. The rabbits were out the way. Everyone was still, including me.  But not including this little one, who paid no attention to the eagle at all.  I assume it thought itself far too small for an eagle to bother with:


Can't see it?
Look at the top of the weather station

I am particularly pleased with the way our dresser is looking at the moment. The daffodils are making it look very cheerful


And after a run of pleasant mid-winter days, today is foggy, damp and chilly. Tempting though it is to stay in my snuggly pyjamas and cosy dressing gown all day, I had better get showered and dressed.  We are still at Rupert and Hugo's place. I suspect Brandy and Whiskey are waiting at their place for their breakfast. And for me to put the heating on!

No comments:

Post a Comment