Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, April 29, 2021

An Autumn Drive to Work

 It's a beautiful morning. The morning light is lovely







It was very much like this yesterday as I drove to work. Obviously, I couldn't take any photos as I was driving. But it was glorious. Mount Warrenheip was bathed in golden, autumnal light. There were wisps of fog and mist. There are splashes of orange and yellow deciduous trees among the eucalypts.

Beautiful. But extremely difficult to drive in, as you round a corner and the sun is shining directly in your face, much like this


Not so bad when I am stood on my verandah admiring it. Much more difficult when you are in charge of a vehicle going  down the freeway at 110 km/h! I tucked in behind a handy truck and used it as a sun visor.

There are parts of the route which were covered in fog yesterday. I might not have seen the Pink Moon on Tuesday night, but as the rising sun  filtered through the fog, the fog went pink.  Again, difficult to drive through but it was very beautiful.

Then we all got taken off the freeway at Bacchus Marsh and directed along the road through Toolern Vale towards Diggers Rest. It's a very lovely, country road which we do use for fun from time to time, although more usually when coming home. It is not designed to carry almost all of the morning traffic that would usually be on the Western Freeway. And the Calder freeway did not enjoy having the morning traffic from the Western dropped onto it at peak hour!!

It was a long, long drive to work.  It was almost as long a drive home. I have no idea why the traffic was quite so heavy on the way home; there was no obvious reason. In the morning it was because part of the freeway was closed after a truck accident. Most of the drive home was after nightfall, so not as pretty as the early morning drive in. And I was glad of a chicken and vegetable stew and a glass of wine when I got home!

No comments:

Post a Comment