Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, May 25, 2019

That was the week that was

I was going to entitle this TWTWTW but then I thought that many people wouldn't know what it stood for.  An ancient television program. A retrospective on the week.  And this week, much as last, deserves a retrospective!

It was an odd week.  I didn't work Thursday, but I did work many extra hours, including Monday (I've got one extra Monday left and then I hope to drop back to my regular 3 days a week).  But it was an unsettled week in many ways.

There were lots of grumpy people. Lots of demanding people.  Tuesday was notable for its number of grumpy, tetchy, difficult, demanding people.  On Wednesday I declared that if anyone looked at me sideways, I would almost certainly yell at them.  Fortunately, nobody did - but one or two people did get one of my librarian's glares.

Friday was notable for the number of emergencies we had.  We had people ringing up to tell us about emergencies (Don't ring us up and tell us. What are we supposed to do, from a distance?  Call 000 and ask for an ambulance!!!)  We  had one or two crises and alarums.  And then the pathology people had an emergency in their room.  This was troublesome because it took the path room and one of our nurses out of action for quite some time.  And all of this was in the morning.  The afternoon was almost completely quiet.

On the plus side, one patient did tell me I was lovely. And one or two did say thank you when we tried to sort things out. But you would think that people would realise that people try harder for you if you are nice and polite, rather than yelling and grumping and demanding and complaining.

Anyway. That week is over. And I have a rare and unusual weekend with no actual plans in prospect. It's the Ballarat Heritage weekend so there are things we could do. But nothing we MUST do.

Excellent

No comments:

Post a Comment