Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, March 31, 2019

Veggies

I think it got to a top of 28d or so on Friday in Reservoir, before the cold front arrived. Jim says he thinks it got to around 24 or 25 in Mount Helen.  It definitely wasn't that high when I arrived back on Friday evening!

It wasn't even close to that high when I got up yesterday morning.  Around 4d, according to Lindsey's weather station. It was foggy - you couldn't see the lights of Ballarat. It was damp.

Nevertheless, I was determined to go out to the Spring Creek Organic Veg farm for their Pick Your Own Corn event.  We went mid-morning, once the fog had cleared and the sun had come out.  There were quite a few people there and the farm had put out lots of trestle tables laden with all sorts of veg - including lots of corn cobs.  We were dressed for heading out into a paddock in winter-like weather but fortunately there was no need.  We came home with loads and loads of veg for less than $50 and it took about ten minutes to select it:


Rupert and Hugo were convinced that this was all meant for them :-D

I'm glad we went out when we did. We got home from the farm just as it started to rain.  Then it began to hail. Then the wind picked up.  The temperature didn't reach double figures at all on Lindsey's weather station.  The highest I saw was 9.5d. We stayed at home in the afternoon!

I have roasted two of the three bags of tomatoes and will make tomato puree with them.  I wish now I had bought more. I can think of lots of things to do with tomatoes. Not quite sure what I'm going to do with all the carrots. I've cooked the beetroot and am planning to put most of the corn in the freezer.  We had a selection of the veg with our dinner last night. Oh - and Rupert and Hugo had a carrot each. Rupert would have preferred broccoli. Alas, I didn't buy any. A carrot had to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment