Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, September 03, 2018

Another Sunday ...

... Another Sunday lunch out!

We had a lovely lunch with Pat last Sunday. She went away for several weeks over the winter and it was the first time we had caught up since she got back. She certainly did us proud.  Four courses! She had a good time while away and certainly looks good on it.  I don't mind winter weather. I enjoy the snuggly jumpers and the random weather and Lindsey and Ian's wood burner. Our central heating keeps us warm but it's not as cosy as a wood burner.  But I can see the attraction of going somewhere warm for the worst of the winter weather.

The working week was quite pleasant too.  I was working some extra shifts so stayed in Melbourne for most of the week.  Lindsey came and went.  Jim stayed in Hill House. I was without a car so moved about by public transport -although I did borrow Lindsey's car to go to East Ivanhoe to collect my new glasses.  I can drive at night again :-D  I enjoyed my morning trips on the tram.  I had to leave quite early so was ahead of the traffic.  The trip to work from the flat usually takes about an hour, door to door by tram. It takes about 45 minutes if you catch the 07:00 tram!  I enjoyed my walk along Smith Street in the afternoons as well.  There's a Japanese pantry,  an organic fruit and veg shop, a scoop shop (where you buy things by the scoop so you can get a tiny amount of sweet paprika if that's all you need) and a Chemist Warehouse where they stock my favourite brand of toothpaste.  They used to sell it at our local IGA but don't any more.  Or you can just wander along and window shop and not buy Japanese curry pastes if you don't need them.  I was quite shocked to wake up on Sunday morning to hear that there had been a mini riot at the other end of Smith Street in the very early hours overnight, although Lindsey tells me that it used to have a rough reputation.

Yesterday was Fathers' Day in Australia. Lindsey, Jim, Rupert and Hugo made their way down to  Mount Martha .  I drove Ian's car down, via Tully's and the Booze shop. Lots of people turned up. We had another picnic style lunch. I think we may need to coordinate what people bring a bit better in future.  We had LOADS of food and therefore LOADS of leftovers. Although I think people took away a lot of the left over food.  Tony had put in a request for egg sandwiches so I made those. I also took some cronuts from the Bridge Mall market.  I think that Rupert and Hugo think that preparing for a lunch Mount Martha is an exhausting affair. They got in the car to go back home and promptly went to sleep, only really waking up when we turned off the freeway at Warrenheip.  I came back with them all.  Ant took Ian's car away for this week.

And now here we are, poised at the start of another working week.  Jim is off to Hill House later. I am off to Melbourne shortly. I have another couple of extra shifts this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment