Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Hellenic Republic

Lindsey's friend, Sandy, is over from Perth for a couple of weeks.  Sandy, Lindsey and I are going on a Girlfriends' tour of Japan later in the year and, although I have know of her for many years and we have been friends on Facebook for a couple of years, I have never actually met her.

Sandy, Lindsey and a few other friends arranged to meet for dinner and Sandy and Lindsey decided that it would be good if I went too. After all, it would be unfortunate if we set off to Japan for a fortnight only to discover on Day 1 that we couldn't stand each other!!!  Fortunately I don't think she did take violently against me. The trip to Japan is still on :-D

They had arranged to dine at the Hellenic Republic in East Brunswick. The Hellenic Republic has long been on my hit list so I was not unhappy with the choice.  And I very much enjoyed it.  It mostly does sharing menus.  We decided not to have the set menu but to go freestyle, with a main course and several sides to share.  The food was lovely.  It was all delicious but I especially enjoyed the roast beetroot in pomegranate molasses.  I must see if I can replicate it.  And a special mention must also be given to the pita and tzatziki.

You can't fault the staff who were lovely.  Our booking for 8 was reduced for various reasons (and at very short notice) to 4.  No worries at all - they just shifted the second table, set for 4, away from us and gave it to some walk ins.  All good!

You also can't fault the price.  Trip Advisor has some people complaining that it is too expensive, but it worked out for us at about $34 per person, which included a chicken main for 3 and a spinach pastry main for 1, plus the sides.  Granted we didn't have wine - three of us were driving and Lindsey had to observe a webinar on the way home.  But even so, I think that represented very good value.

If Greek food is your thing, I would thoroughly recommend it.  There are other locations as well, in Kew, Brighton and Williamstown, should East Brunswick not be convenient.


No comments:

Post a Comment