Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Turning into my aunt

Slowly, very slowly, but ineluctably I appear to be turning into my Aunt Margaret :-S

We went to Bishops' House on Saturday. It was a chilly, grey, damp sort of a day. The sort of day when comforting, warming drinks are called for. And nice warm, toastie things to eat.

So did I suggest that we should drop by to the nice cafe just up the road, which does lovely Caribbean food on Friday evenings and buy breakfast sandwiches and hot drinks?

I did not.

Did I suggest that we should go to the Co-op next to the cafe and buy the makings of a picnic breakfast?

I did not.

So what did I do?

I took egg and bacon sandwiches, wrapped up in foil, which I had made before we left home.

And ...

I took a flask filled with hot chocolate and two cups from the picnic set

:-S

I've turned into Margaret, I tell you!

But not absolutely entirely,.  I haven't yet turned against alcohol and Sunday afternoon torpor.  When these things happen, the transformation will be complete!!

We woke up on Sunday morning to find that the Weather Dogs had FINALLY realised that it was winter and had turned on the snow.  Nothing like as exciting as the snow they sent us last November/December; only around 5cm or so.  Enough to disgust Marlo who walked out through his cat hole out into the back garden, found all the snow and sharply turned around and came straight back in again!  We have laid in some kitty litter, although the snow seems to be melting away now.  The chickens were equally unimpressed, but The builder dug a space for them in their run so it was snow-free - and in any case they can be bought off with warm porridge or warmed bread and milk.

And it is true that the snow is very pretty. But it really isn't very practical.  People were not game to use the back roads to commute to work in the ice and compacted snow on Monday morning (you can see their point - anything smaller than a landrover was struggling mightily to get up Hagg Hill to Grassmoor), so everyone was on the main road.  Which was at a standstill heading into Chesterfield from well before our roundabout.  Took us over an hour to drive to the station. Usually takes ten minutes!

For those of you who aren't on Facebook, you should be able to view the snow photos here:



No comments:

Post a Comment