Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Lockdown Saturday

Did you hear that bang overnight?  That was the sound of the interstate borders slamming shut, once again sequestering Victorians in their state. I have no interstate plans until December and I am hoping, with fingers firmly crossed, that by then things might be slightly more under control. I suspect that this might be me being a tad optimistic. But perhaps not as optimistic as those who are planning interstate trips in the next few weeks. I suspect that many of those simply won't happen.

Did you hear that soft, almost silent whooshing sound a week or ten days ago? That was the virus silently, stealthily making its way to many locations around the northern suburbs of Melbourne, in the person of a non-symptomatic delivery driver who brought it to the Summerhill shopping centre via the fruit and vegetable shop. You have some sympathy with the delivery driver, who had no idea he was infectious at the time. The breach only came to light last night and it was almost long enough ago to think that Summerhill might have evaded the virus's embrace. I wasn't there that day, but the surgery was oh so close to becoming a Tier One site. A reminder against complacency. If you have symptoms, get tested. Don't assume that you can't possibly have Covid and go out clubbing, thus offering the virus the means to embrace lots of people in more than one crowded, inside location.

Jim and I have stayed at home today. We don't urgently need anything, although my kitchen scales chose today to inform me that its battery was flat. I don't have spare batteries of that type but, even under normal circumstances, it would be slightly extravagant to get the car out just to buy a packet of batteries. Under a lockdown, I decided that I could probably manage without until I needed something else. I will need milk in the next day or so.  The batteries can wait until then.

It has been a very quiet day today. The sun has been out, although it has been a bit chilly. But people seem to be tucked up safely in their homes. There was someone out on the former reserve this afternoon. I don't know what he was doing - it looked as though he was flattening divots with a golf club but that seems a slightly odd thing to do on what will be a building site. Not that anything very much has happened on the building front recently. They put the new bit of road in weeks ago and then went away. Anyway, that person was the only one that I saw all day (apart from Jim, of course). I didn't even hear anyone out on the court. 

No comments:

Post a Comment