Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Wintry weather

Well, they promised us a return to wintry weather over the weekend, and that was exactly what we got.

I don't think the temperature rose much above 5 or 6d on Saturday.  We had snow flurries, sleet, hail, rain, wind.

Sunday was a bit better but definitely not a picnic outside kind of day.

When I went to the mushroom farm and to Elaine on Saturday morning, there were large puddles of water on the roads.  There was standing water in the paddocks. The drainage channels on the side of the road in Smythes Creek were flowing.

We had over 30 ml of water in the rain gauge over the weekend.

The Bureau of Meteorology official rain gauge at the airport read zero!!!! As if someone had put an enormous umbrella over the airport.  It seems it's broken.  I'm not sure why they couldn't have just got another one, but officially, on the wettest weekend for weeks, Ballarat had no rainfall :D

Sunday was the fourth anniversary of our arrival back in Australia to live. We celebrated by me baking and then us eating apricot rolls from an American recipe for lunch and a British style Sunday roast for dinner. I had made a Japanese style noodle soup for lunch on Saturday and a Lebanese style lamb dish for dinner.  A truly multicultural weekend for food.

The weather has picked up again now. It's a beautiful morning. Still cold, but at least the sun has come out.

I braved Bunnings yesterday.  If you go in the afternoon during the week it's not too busy.  The tradies have been and gone, the weekenders are busy doing other things, the oldies are wearing masks and physically distancing. Safe enough given the low levels of diseases in Ballarat. I have now got most of the things on my Bunnings list, including a large plant pot for the patio when it is finished and larger brackets for the shelf I want to put up in the laundry.  I didn't get a wheelbarrow. I decided that a wheelbarrow and a large patio pot might be asking a bit too much of little Ziggy.  I'll get the wheelbarrow next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment